VOGONS

First post, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Desert Strike game freezes in dosbos cvs always after 1 minute (exactly 60 seconds with stopwatch). Does not matter where in game I'am (menu, ingamer screen, options). It looks this problem is connected with timer (these full, equal 60 seconds always of game run).

Reply 2 of 16, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cvs is 0.63 version (intro screen says that). AFAIR this game didn't want to start in pure dos. In dosbox it starts. However with 6000 cycles I can play only 1 minute. Now I lowered cpu cycles to 1500 and I can play about 2 minutes (+/- 9 secs). With 500 cycles everything works (intros, options, introduction) but after clicking start game game do not starts. I use dosbox in linux. The rest of games works fine.

Reply 3 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The difference between the real 0.63 and the cvs (which also has the name 0.63)
is an unified diff of 1.2 MB
consisting of 39202 lines.

DOSBox has changed a lot since 0.63.........

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 16, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game only hangs in linux. I tried in root mode and game freezes.
I checked official dosbox 0.63 for windows and game is OK.
I checked official dosbox 0.63 for linux (built from source with and without optimizations) and game hangs.
I checked yesterday cvs and built in linux and game hangs.

Reply 5 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that's odd.
the only linux specific code I can think of is the some filesystem acces.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 16, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What output settings, video driver, CPU, RAM, compiler do you use? It could be a driver issue or some problem with the system installation in general.

Reply 7 of 16, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use dosbox defaults (have no dosbox.conf at all)
The only command in dosbox I type is:

mount c /oldskool/games
c:
DESERT.EXE

If it was configuration fault, I think all games would fail, not only this one.
my config:
X.Org 6.8.2
Nvidia binary driver 8178
KDE 3.4.5
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice
1 GB RAM DDR400
gcc 3.4.5

Reply 8 of 16, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried generic vesa driverinstead nvidia. No difference.
Tried surface, overlay, opengl, disabled all sound emulators, memory support, - all hangs the same. Could someone test this game in linux? I do not know if this is system fault or dosbox. I can send it, it is only 4 MB size.

Reply 9 of 16, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another game which hungs in linux is Sid Meier's Colonization. But this game has install.exe. Using install.exe I set 'no sound' to audio and midi - after saving this settings colonization runs OK. Desert Strike has no external install.exe - the sound can be disabled in game - but this is too late. Dos box has 'nosound' option but sound is still emulated with silence - such option gives me nothing.

Reply 10 of 16, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, then I guess it's a problem with your sound setup. I have played Colonization on linux successfully with sound, all the way through.

Reply 13 of 16, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Desert Strike still do not works in linux dosbox. Tried to run with dosemu but get message: Requires a VGA video card. vgaon says: vgaonERROR: CAN'T DO VIDEO INIT, BIOS NOT MAPPED! and does nothing.

Reply 15 of 16, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I completly have no idea whats up with this game in linux. All other games works and desert strike works in windows XP. Maybe this 1994 dated DOS game requires WindowsXP to run 😀

Reply 16 of 16, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a similar problem on Windows, using the latest CVS (and most likely this happens with vanilla 0.63 too). I had the exact same problem with a version I had downloaded from an Abandonware site back on 0.63 and now with the CD version I dug up I get the same thing. The damn thing won't even start in Dynamic mode.

I do remember this game being a real bitch to run in real DOS mode too.

Well i'll try a few more things like turning off the sound.

EDIT: turning off sound makes no difference, and it locks up after exactly one minute too. Seems like a DOSBOX "problem" - the game seems to be real picky.