Aladdin sound

Topic actions

First post, by Metsa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

I'm new to DosBox and need some help.
I have DosBox v.0.63 and a new toshiba laptop running Win XP. My problem is that when I play Aladdin , there is no sound and I can't maximize the window - the icon is disabled. Is that as it is supposed to be or can I do something, at least to get a bigger screen?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay a few things you should know:

Laptops are usually not great for DOSBOX. A friend of mine has a brand new laptop which struggles to run quite a lot of games. This is because a laptop tends to have weaker CPUs compared to the PC version. For example my PIV 2.5Ghz laptop wasn't a patch for my AMD 2400+ My laptop could only achieve 10000 cycles while my PC could achieve 15000 without the sound stuttering in normal cpu emulation mode. So basically: if games don't run too smoothly, please don't blame dosbox like a friend of mine did.

Second: DOSBOX maximises with ALT ENTER. (full screen). You can also use scalers in dosbox.conf to increase the size of the window in windowed mode.

And thirdly: you need to set up the sound for the game in its own configuration program. This is not Windows where games automatically know all your settings, you need to tell DOS games what soundcard you have, whether you have a mouse or not, etc.

Aladdin was a notorious game back in its days for getting sound to work because of its high memory demands, but DOSBOX makes all this far easier.