VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried this with several CVS and 0.63 and I run into the same problem every time: the game seems to repeat a certain key I enter continuously.

For example, if I start the game and turn right, my character will keep turning right. If I jump, it keeps jumping, etc. Extremely annoying and really destroying the game. Otherwise the game runs perfectly and at great speed too, so it would be a shame if this couldn't get fixed.

I have no gamepad/joypad installed or any other device that could alter the behaviour like that. Also this is the original version, so maybe this was an actual game bug - but I can't find any patches.

Reply 1 of 13, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested the game with the latest cvs from http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm. There is no keyboard lagging. The original version did not have any keyboard problems so there is no patch available.

You could try to set the priority to normal as this seems to fix some people's keyboard problems. There might also be a keyboard driver or an application running in the background that may be causing this problem. I can tell you my config - it's dynamic core, 21000 cycles, ems and xms is enabled.

Alternatively, you can use the Windows version if you have a Windows os. This is the best option, in my opinion, as you get the best speed and movies don't stutter. You will only need to apply the unofficial funnyfrog patch http://www.magicball.net/disknode/get/1654/lba2patch.zip.

http://el-muerte.student.utwente.nl/lba/forum … e=hybrid&t=5821 - And here you can find more solutions if you encounter other problems. Have fun playing this great game. 😀

Reply 2 of 13, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

* hears "Little Big Adventure" *

* red flashing light in head starts beeping *

If you want to run LBA1/LBA2 on DOSBox, please use the LBA on DOSBox guide I've written 😀 So far it seemed to have helped people.

But! DOSBox will probably not be the best mathod of playing LBA2. Download FunnyFrog's patch here (as doomer so wisely pointed out). It should make it playable in Windows.

[edit]
Come to think of it, for the problems you mentioned, I suppose it's like that because LBA require a lot of CPU. DOSBox can't handle it that well.

Reply 3 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem is, DOSBOX IS the best way of playing LBA2 for me, simply because I own an LCD screen and the Windows patch makes all the edges fuzzy, making the game look blurry. DOSBOX lets me play the game extremely sharp, with no fuzzy edges, at full screen.

Also the Windows version has a few more bugs it seems, including unskippable cutscenes.

About the CPU being a problem: LBA2 runs extremely fluently on DOSBOX, because my CPU is capable of 75000 and more cycles - and LBA2 doesn't even use all the cycles to its fullest.

Basically, the keyboard thing is most likely not connected to a CPU power problem.The original LBA runs perfectly as well - the only thing is the keyboard getting "stuck" on one action, which seems like some input error.

Priority of DOSBOX is also set to normal though.

I'm really stumped what could cause this problem. Maybe it's some silly setting? I'll see on Underdogs if their version of LBA2 does this same thing.

Reply 6 of 13, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just delete the dosbox.conf file and recreate it by writing this inside the (Daum Cafe) DOSBox CVS:
config -writeconf dosbox.conf

I didn't modify it manually.

Reply 7 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well since the other versions I tried didn't even have a dosbox.conf, I doubt that would help 😖 I have 8 DOSBOX versions on my hard drive and I tried 4 of them with the same problem.

Reply 8 of 13, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why don't you try using fewer cpu cycles for a test like, for example, 19000? Some games tend to have keyboard lagging with a too high cpu cycles count even if your cpu is not completely used.

Again I suggest you try the Windows version. This fuzzy edges problem seems incredibly strange to me. Are you sure you applied the funny frog patch? Fuzzy edges should not appear regardless of your lcd monitor.

Reply 9 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I take it you don't have an LCD screen 😉 if you had, you'd know what fuzzy edges I was talking about. An LCD screen has ONE native resolution, and any other resolution will deform the image. For mine it is 1280x1024 which means that LBA2 will have unsharp edges because it uses a different resolution. I highly dislike this, and DOSBOX doesn't have this after some tweaking.

And lower cycles doesn't work - plus, it would make the game jerky in 3D. I tried in normal mode at 15000 with no luck. Just odd.

Reply 11 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, that I could try - I have one of those nifty G15 gaming keyboards from Logitech with LCD screen (would be awesome if DOSBOX could show cycles and stuff on that display by the way!!) and keys that light up, so the software may interfere. I'll try disabling that!

Reply 13 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't tried it yet because I forgot that my CD of LBA2 is burried among the many other hundereds of games i'm cataloging at the moment. I'm using a program called Game Collector to make a list of all the games I have, including a box shot, year or release, its platform (DOS/Windows/etc.), etc. and it's why I decided to try LBA2 - because I came accross it while making the list. But of course, it's now in a huge box somewhere near the bottom with hundereds of games on top. Currently I have 378 games in the list, and I have at least 300 more to go.