VOGONS

First post, by french_whore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm installing system shock in DOSBox, and when I get to the part where I choose installation directory, I choose c:\sshock (default) and it says I can't install to that directory. huh?

Reply 1 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Just one off-topic comment: could not you choose a better (less-offensive) name?
If I was a VOGON admin I would delete it on the spot. You are lucky that I am not.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please write down here all the exact commands you used to install SS.

They should be something like this...

mount c c:\
mount d d:\ -t cdrom

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

shouldn't the installer be in the root of the CD? Sometimes it is not wise to start the installer directly but start the install.bat or setup.bat or similar in the root. I encountered a similar game once and wrote it down here but forgot which it was...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 8, by french_whore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, this is a bit weird. In total, there appear to be 4 installers on the CD:

H:\install.exe
H:\origin.bat
H:\doc32\inst32.exe
H:\inst\initial.exe

install.exe and inst32.exe don't work. When I try to launch either one in dosbox, it says "this program requires windows", but when I try to run it in windows, it gives me a "wrong number of params" message.

origin.bat and initial.exe both seem to work fine in windows, but I need them to run in dosbox for the SB16 sound emulation. When I try to start origin.bat in dosbox, I get 16 lines of errors. And I've already told you what happens when I run initial.exe in dosbox.

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was getting the same error as above until I simply moved the files in the directory that the installer was looking for. I could then save the sound settings which I couldn't do before since the installer kept on telling me that the game was not installed. (Wasn't an original copy)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline