VOGONS

First post, by LordRikerQ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first time poster here, finally i've had hope i can play AFU again but, having some problems.

Im using a Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 Motherboard, Athlon AMD 64 3200+ Processor, 2 gigs of DDR RAM, Asus Geforce 7800 GTvideo card, Soundblaster Audigy 4 Gamer, Windows XP Home Edition.

Im trying to get STTNG AFU to work with Dosbox 0.63 and using that great Dos Extender from the other thread and when i start AFU up, It actually loads up faster however it freezes on the splash screen right after the credits appear on the buttom of the screen.

It will always do this too, however, it if i run it in a Dos box in native XP with compatability mode on, it will work, albeit without sound or video, so im totally stumped here.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Update edit: I found out its not frozen, just running really slow. I took 5 real minutes for the load screen to go away and Everything is in slow motion.. if it helps any in figuring out my problem.

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Download a CVS build from my signature.

Eithe ykhwong's or gulikoza's.

Make sure that you have configured dosbox.conf to core=dynamic and that you are using the appropriate amount of cycles for your computer.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

8500?

How did you come to that value? That is incredibly low.

Make sure Task Manager is loaded while using DosBox. You want the "DosBox" process to be at about 90% utilization.

If your hitting 90-10% @ 8500 cycles then your probably using core=normal instead of core=dynamic.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try 75000 cycles or more - your CPU can handle that much easily. Mine is only an AMD 64 3000+ and can run AFU at 75000 cycles. 8500 compares to a low 486 - no way this is enough to run a game that was intended for an early Pentium!