VOGONS

First post, by keregioz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello...
I have an athlon 1800xp with 768mb ram and radeon 9600pro

Is there any chance of playing riddle of master lu using dosbox?
I managed to install it and it runs with no errors but it's terribly slow! both sound and animation... I have increased the cpu cycles to over 30000 and nothing changes. Is there anything else i can do or is my system too slow to handle it?...
If there's no hope for dosbox then does anyone know i it could run of windows98? and how?

These are the dosbox.conf settings i used....

[sdl]

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=0x0
output=opengl
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=64

[render]

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none
[cpu]

core=dynamic
cycles=14000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]

mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]

type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]

gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]
# Nothing to setup yet!

[dos]

xms=true
ems=true

[modem]

modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[directserial]

directserial=false
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]

ipx=false

[autoexec]

mount c c:\HDD
mount d e:\ -t cdrom

Reply 4 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder why people keep on "optimizing" their dosbox.conf's with memsize=64........

I guess they never had any experience with DOS programs and assume that like Windows the more memory you throw at DOS the better.....when it's actually the opposite.

Another thing that might come into the "DosBox is slow!!!" (Probably nothing to do with the above poster....he has 768 and his problems are likely caused by using DosBox 0.63) is that with

Memsize=64 ....Host DosBox usage is 97m
Mensize=16 (Dosbox default)....Host DosBox usage is about 49m.

Now for us computer enthusiasts we mostly have 512-2gb of ram but I'm betting that the "average" DosBox user has 256-512 of physical ram with Windows programs and bloat eating up on average around 300+mb (Conservative estimate) of memory.

So for DosBox users with only 256mb of ram and most of it's already gone anyway using 64mb for DosBox would result in less DosBox performance and Host OS performance.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only reason for increasing DOSBox memory above 16MB is for running some applications (or protected mode games) that will take advantage of it. For the rest of games (oldies) 16MB is enough (and even 4-8MB).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 15, by keregioz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

I wonder.. You have a very nicely tuned dosbox.conf. What forced you to use output=opengl??

I really have no idea how to configure dosbox...i saw the opengl and some other settings in a thread on adventure gamers forums and were supposed to be espesially for riddle of master lu...

Reply 8 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

arrggg....Some dosbox.conf settings are computer specific. Especially "output" and "cycles".....

Might need explain this better in the README but it probably wouldn't make much difference since most new users don't use it.

Reply 9 of 15, by keregioz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

arrggg....Some dosbox.conf settings are computer specific. Especially "output" and "cycles".....

Might need explain this better in the README but it probably wouldn't make much difference since most new users don't use it.

The guy that had posted the settings said to change the output to "opengl" if you have anything above GF2 ...i had a radeon9600p so i thought it should be ok... I guess i shouldn't believe everything i read 😒

Reply 10 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, actually the "opengl" setting is terrible in DosBox for ATI cards if your using DosBox 0.63 and below.

It works just fine in the latest CVS builds of DosBox which you can grab from my signature below. (Use either gulikoza's or ykhwong's).

Also "opengl" will blur the graphics so if you notice a loss in graphics quality then use "openglnb".

Reply 11 of 15, by keregioz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Nah, actually the "opengl" setting is terrible in DosBox for ATI cards if your using DosBox 0.63 and below.

It works just fine in the latest CVS builds of DosBox which you can grab from my signature below. (Use either gulikoza's or ykhwong's).

Also "opengl" will blur the graphics so if you notice a loss in graphics quality then use "openglnb".

I tried ykhwong's bulid with opengl setting... The graphics worked fine but the sound did some weird things. It was like a record playing back, some times in high speed and sometimes slow.

Reply 12 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In recent CVS the sound slows down/speeds up instead of skipping.

This may happen if your overloading DosBox....if your not overloading dosbox then it's a bug.

You can tell if your overloading dosbox by monitoring Task Manager and making sure that DosBox processor usage does not exceed 90%.

Reply 15 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that the latest DOSBOX is more sensitive to sound. I could run Windows 3.1 at 15000 cycles before, now only 8000 before my sound messes up. Oddly enough, at 15000 cycles I rarely reached 100% CPU.