VOGONS

First post, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When running Microsoft Debug in DOSBox, Debug does not respond properly to my keystrokes. The Backspace key does not erase the input, the Delete, Insert, Home, End, Page Up, Page Down and arrow keys cause a letter preceded by a space to be displayed rather than performing the intended function. (btw: I think these letters and spaces are the keycodes for the keys I mentioned.) When testing a program with a similar interface, namely, Microsoft Edlin I had the same results.

(And no, I normally don't use Edlin at all, but I ran it just to test how it worked in DOSBox after I had trouble with Debug. 😊 )

Btw: Alphabetic keys and the Enter key seem to work normally though...

Also, when running Install.bat from the root directory of Sierra's Quest for Glory Anthology cd, you have to specify which version of Quest for Glory you want to install and in which language. You have to make a selection by pressing an alphabetic key. The batch program or the batch file enhancer "What.exe" stops responding to any keystrokes in DOSBox though. Considering that I have problems with the keyboard in a few other programs, I suspect this is a keyboard problem as well. It might also be a problem with how DOSBox handles environment variables since "What.exe" uses an environment variable to store the user's choice so the batch file can process it.

Here is a fragment of the batch file showing how it uses the batch file enchancer "What.exe":

cls
echo.
echo.
echo To continue in English, press the letter "E"
echo.
echo To continue in French, press the letter "F"
echo.
echo To continue in German, press the letter "G"
echo.
echo To quit installation, press the letter "X"
echo.

what c "Enter a letter > " efgx

if not exist c:\what.exe copy what.exe c:\
if "%what%" == "E" goto QGAENGLISH
if "%what%" == "F" goto QGAFRENCH
if "%what%" == "G" goto QGAGERMAN
if "%what%" == "X" goto EXIT
if "%what%" == "" goto EXIT

Can any one tell me whether these problems are caused by a poor configuration, Windows problems or DOSBox bugs and how to solve them?

Btw: I'm running Windows XP Professional and my DOSBox version is 0.63.

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2010-06-18, 15:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "what.exe" is a known issue. You'll have to copy the game files manually instead of using the crappy what.exe and batch file.

As for Debug.....Why don't you use the DosBo debugger?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The batch file and "What.exe" are not crappy. They work just fine under Windows 9x and MS-DOS. I checked if they would work under Windows 98 and they did.

When running the batch file under Windows XP using "Cmd.exe" or "Command.com" outside DOSBox, the batch file responds when I select a language and game version, in DOSBox it does not respond. Which seems to make it a problem with DOSBox.

For some reason the batch file still does not work in XP when using "Cmd.exe" or "Command.com" ("Directory Creation Error" or something like that.) but, that is unrelated to DOSBox.

btw: what is the "CVS", h-a-l-9000?

EDIT:
DosFreak, what debugger I use is not the issue here. Microsoft Debug does not work properly in DOSBox and I think it should.

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2006-03-26, 19:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CVS is the system used to organize DosBox and other GPL software.

You can download a CVS build of DosBox from my signature.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The what.exe issue is a known issue, and I seem to recall that Qbix has no plans to address it. What.exe does not work in DOSBox nor the Win2K/XP NTVDM (Windows command prompt) because it stores the result in an environment variable (a bad way to do it - they should have used an error code instead). I believe that both DOSBox and the NTVDM give each program a separate environment space (inherited from the parent program?). For NTVDM this is undoubtedly a security measure, but I'm not sure why DOSBox behaves this way (maybe it simplifies things?).

At any rate, I learned that you can go into the individual games' directories on the CD and install them to the hard drive using INSTALL just like with the floppy versions.

EDIT: I take it back. It looks like Qbix fixed something relating to this in the CVS a while back, so try a CVS build and see what happens.

Reply 6 of 10, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

The what.exe issue is a known issue, and I seem to recall that Qbix has no plans to address it. What.exe does not work in DOSBox nor the Win2K/XP NTVDM (Windows command prompt) because it stores the result in an environment variable (a bad way to do it - they should have used an error code instead). I believe that both DOSBox and the NTVDM give each program a separate environment space (inherited from the parent program?). For NTVDM this is undoubtedly a security measure, but I'm not sure why DOSBox behaves this way (maybe it simplifies things?).

At any rate, I learned that you can go into the individual games' directories on the CD and install them to the hard drive using INSTALL just like with the floppy versions.

EDIT: I take it back. It looks like Qbix fixed something relating to this in the CVS a while back, so try a CVS build and see what happens.

I think that whether any one thinks "What.exe" stores the user's choice in a bad or good way is irrelevant. It works in any DOS based operating system and if DOSBox is supposed to emulate DOS, the badly written (in your opinion) programs should also work in DOSBox...

BTW:
This is not about not being able to install the game.

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2006-03-27, 20:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Peter Swinkels wrote:

I think that whether any one thinks "What.exe" stores the user's choice in a bad or good way is irrelevant. It works in any DOS based operating system and if DOSBox is supposed to emulate DOS, the badly written (in your opinion) programs should also work in DOSBox...

Then our opinions differ.

DOSBox will not fix broken games.
We provide a system that adheres to the DOS standards.
If some application is bugged and runs because the bug doesn't show up on a certain dos version. then we will not fix it. Fortunately there aren't that many games broken by design(and running by pure luck). We've collected only a handful over the years that we work on DOSBox).

(and yes this is a lot wider then your thing, for example many people would like that we make Master of Magic more stable. Which we won't. The game is just bugged from itself.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 10, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:
Then our opinions differ. […]
Show full quote
Peter Swinkels wrote:

Then our opinions differ.

DOSBox will not fix broken games.
We provide a system that adheres to the DOS standards.
If some application is bugged and runs because the bug doesn't show up on a certain dos version. then we will not fix it. Fortunately there aren't that many games broken by design(and running by pure luck). We've collected only a handful over the years that we work on DOSBox).

(and yes this is a lot wider then your thing, for example many people would like that we make Master of Magic more stable. Which we won't. The game is just bugged from itself.)

That's too bad. Well there's nothing I can do about it if you aren't going to fix it. But, I still would like to say a few things:

I'm not asking you to fix the program "What.exe". It works under DOS and therefore it adheres to DOS standards in my opinion and I think that if DOSBox is going to emulate DOS properly I would forget about my opinions of what DOS' standards are supposed to be.

Really, what you seem to be saying is: "I feel the program is badly written and does not adhere to the standards I think DOS should adhere to and don't care whether it worked under DOS." I think there is a difference between a bug that causes a program to work poorly even under DOS and something that doesn't adhere to your standards but still worked fine under DOS. Where did you get these standards?

Or did I completely misunderstand you now? Well like I said if you aren't going to fix it, there's nothing I can do about it... Not that it really matters in this case any way.