VOGONS

blood 1, settlers 2, settlers 2 gold.

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

indeed i did see it... and i also posted there.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 61 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

halfgaar (or anyone else) how do i set up smtp server on my forums? or how do i make it so that email notification works?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 63 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😮 this place was marked as read which meant i never saw your message here... anywho posted to our OT discussion.

my website

Reply 64 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is halfgaar still here? anyways... i have a shortcut to settlers 2 which is demonstrated below.

Target = "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.65\DOSBox.exe" E:\SETTLER2\s2.exe
start in = "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.65"

how do i make it so that dosbox quits after closing the game? (this has been annoying me for some time now...) because i can manage it from d-fend but i want to know where in the config file to make dosbox do that.

my website

Reply 65 of 82, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think it's that much of a problem to type "exit" when the game is done, but what you could do, is make a .bat file in the s2 dir which contains:

s2.exe
exit

which you then call instead of s2.exe in the target line you posted above.

Reply 66 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wont that load s2.exe then quit straight away... as i was thinking of something like that but never tried it.

my website

Reply 68 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks and cant beleive this thread reached 2006 views (aka: this year).

i have one more thing to ask... how do i open a thread here at its latest page without needing to view the first page aswell as not to scroll to the bottom of the first page?

my website

Reply 71 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hey, anymore news on the map generator? and is halfgaar still here... could he contact me on msn messenger ASAP... i just wanna ask you something that isnt allowed on these forums 😀 its related to the new settlers 2: 10th anniversary.

my website

Reply 72 of 82, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MSN is inconvenient for me. You can send me an e-mail: wiebe@halfgaar.net.

I didn't even know of this release of Settlers 2. I'm downloading the demo now. It probably won't run on my Linux machine, but we'll see.

If this game is what I think it is, then it would be very cool. I stopped playing settlers 2 because of the little annoyances, like not being able to walk your generals out to the borders, which means your new privates have to keep fighting the enemy generals... The standard trick of emptying all the towers and filling them up again won't work, because in the mean time, my towers will be attacked and conquered.

Reply 73 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you dont have to use msn messenger to speak to thos who do use msn messenger...

settlers 2: 10th anniversary is brilliant and the map editor can import the original maps from the dos version... it requires minimum pixel shader 2.0 and some other things... plus it indeed does fix the majority of nuisances... im gonna post on there forum if they can add the ability to send a group of geologists/scouts at once rather then 1 at a time... i have a rather good idea on how the interface can be changed to accommodate this.

and uh, its awesome and theres things to remove certain limitations within certain versions of the game... i can help you with them things 😀 (if i stepped over the border for a rule and its effects here then warn and remove the offending material please)

my website

Reply 74 of 82, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you dont have to use msn messenger to speak to thos who do use msn messenger...

I do have MSN, although I'm thinking of scrapping it, because the concept is flawed. I prefer the decentralized concept of XMPP (Jabber). My problem now, is with the "instant" part. I prefer non-instant e-mail.

BTW, you could start a thread about it on your own forums, couldn't you? I'll join the conversation if you make one.

settlers 2: 10th anniversary is brilliant and the map editor can import the original maps from the dos version... it requires minimum pixel shader 2.0 and some other things... plus it indeed does fix the majority of nuisances... im gonna post on there forum if they can add the ability to send a group of geologists/scouts at once rather then 1 at a time... i have a rather good idea on how the interface can be changed to accommodate this.

and uh, its awesome and theres things to remove certain limitations within certain versions of the game... i can help you with them things Happy (if i stepped over the border for a rule and its effects here then warn and remove the offending material please)

I have a Shader 2.0 card, I think, but I don't have Windows... If I want to play it, I need to obtain Cedega (program to run windows games in Linux(/Unix)), but it's a non-free program 🙁 And, I don't even know if it will run with Cedega.

I'll inform a friend about the game and have a look at it on his computer.

Reply 75 of 82, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cedega is perfectly free if you compile the source yourself. You just don't get the latest code to run games with the latest copy protectiong and the fancy smancy front-end.

IMO, It's not worth the effort and your better off just running your D3D games in Windows.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 76 of 82, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cedega is perfectly free if you compile the source yourself. You just don't get the latest code to run games with the latest copy protectiong and the fancy smancy front-end.

Hmm, the Gentoo package wants me to subscribe to transgaming and get an official release. I can't find a Gentoo package for a CVS build, or something else that would be free. The Transgaming website also states nothing about a free version. If it exists, they probably hid it.

IMO, It's not worth the effort and your better off just running your D3D games in Windows.

Windows is also non-free, non-secure, and non-conveninient. Windows is just not my thing. And even if these games would run on a free OS, like ReactOS, I still woulnd't like it, because maintaining two operating systems, with all the hassles of partitions, dual boots and document management, is annoying.

I'm told Cedega can run games pretty well. If this is true, it would be worth the effort for me. The only culprit it, I bet surround sound through either DirectSound or EAX is not emulated, and surround sound is important to me.

Reply 77 of 82, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, the CVS of Cedega is perfectly free it's just not advertised that much.

As for Windows being "non-secure", it's perfectly secure if you just use it to play single-player games and don't connect it to the internet. 😉

I maintain a compatibility list "PC Game Compatibility List" in my signature. Cedega/Wine is nowhere near to fitting my requirements for gaming. Cedega CAN run games well but ONLY if run what Cedega officially supports which is a very very very very small list of games. If these are the only games you need then that's fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 78 of 82, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the game uses cutting edge copy protection if you patch it 😉 and it isn't even released in the USA yet...

i would still like to speak to you in real time halfgaar.. so we can organize online play or something 😀

my website

Reply 79 of 82, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the hotmail address I used before to contact you, your MSN? If so, I'll add it to my list. I can't garantuee my availability though 😀