VOGONS

First post, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am using DosBox 0.65 on Windows XP SP2, 1.5 GHz machine, with 256 DDR RAM... and some kind of on-board Intel video card. A laptop computer.

I have had severe performance problems trying to run "WarCraft: Orcs & Humans". Version 1.12

I tried to change the DOSbox configuration (CPU cycles mostly) in order to solve the problem, but no success at all 😵

Therefore, I would like to ask what is the best configuration (cycles, sound, whatever else) for me to run War 1 smoothly. I checked the list on the website and it saus that War 1 is "supported", with a very high rating.

Any help will be appreciated 😀

Reply 2 of 5, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you.

I tried that and performance improved indeed.

At 28000 cycles the missions played smooth and fast, with very rare instances of minor and fast-disappearing lag.

Still, the main menu and all other screens are pretty slow... am I using the correct amount of cycles?

P.S. Tested dynamic core with BlackThorne - runs even better than before 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have a very slow machine. Also you are using a laptop which are generally slower than their desktop.equivalents.

If your tweaking DosBox correctly and using DOS32a and the other tips and you are still experiencing slowness then the only thing you can do is to get a faster processor. (or don't run the game in an emulator).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aha, I see.

For now I can't afford a new machine, so I can play the thing without an emulator... which means without any sound at all. But that should not be a fatal problem.

In the meantime, there are plenty of alternatives... thank you all for the info.