VOGONS

First post, by Muncher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I've been using various revisions of DosBox for a long time, but haven't installed the latest version on my new box until now. I'm running XP on a P4 3.0ghz with 1 gig of RAM, all the trimmings and all that. Now, I've been trying to run Gabriel Knight 1 with Vesa enabled, and I have the cpu cycles fairly high (10000) and everything runs smooth as a baby's behind, just one problem - the sound, although clear, every couple of seconds makes this horrible loud bass note like a stereo being turned on and off. It's horribly annoying, any ideas?

Allan.

Reply 2 of 7, by Muncher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the sound sounds just a little prettier but the horrible thumping noise is still there. It is definitely related to sound samples, as it happens whenever a sound effect (or, at the beginning, the really nice violin music is a wave file, and it also gets the thump treatment at the beginning) is played. I also tried adding extra prebuffer and fiddling with the blocksize, nothing. Any other suggestions? It's as if I'm hearing the sound re-initializing itself over and over and over again.

Allan.

Reply 3 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you should try selecting a different wave audio device for GK1 in the game setup.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 7, by Muncher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, thanks - now it's working almost perfectly, the odd speck in the sound, but good. There is an occasional tiny stutter, will pumping up the cpu cycles further correct this, or would I do well to fiddle with the buffering/blocksize/etc settings in DosBox?

Allan.

Reply 7 of 7, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i put it...and sounds very old FM Synthesis...then i go to INSTALL.EXE and set the option that say "restart default config from Sierra..." and the sounds enhanced with better MIDI instrumment mapping....

c:\GKCD>Install.exe....

- If you choose Music as Soundblaster Pro sounds like oldiest Indiana Jones music....if you want more quality on music ....choose General MIDI sound Driver...