I could not fix it and didn't find anything that'd even hint at that this very
version ever worked, so trying it on a sb16 pc and verifying that it actually
does would already help.

Reply 23 of 33, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The problem seems a bit difficult to nail down. I sometimes see it when I change the type of SB card configured in the game's setup, but it stops after changing the amount of free conventional memory, like loading a TSR or using loadfix, even for just a small bit less memory. Could be a game bug rather than a problem with DOSBox.

Reply 24 of 33, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you ever try with fixed cycles?

I get constant crashes with cycles=auto but not with cycles=40000. The dragon alone doesn't trigger it with my version, the table needs to move, too. Also, a background app causes the crash (extender quit, cls brings back the command prompt).

1+1=10

Reply 25 of 33, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've attached a screenshot that reveals the crash in the version I have here as typical autocycles issue. What's the output of you others?

Attachments

• dosbox_000.png
    Filename
    dosbox_000.png
    File size
    6.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1+1=10

Reply 26 of 33, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That overflow may be later than the point where it screws up. (?)
The point where the illegal reads occur is a regular subroutine that
is called very often, usually does some copying of small memory blocks
but then (maybe related to the many irqs) receives crap thus does
memory transfers beyond bounds (page tables/segments are set up
correctly and wouldn't trigger faults).
It is not related to the sb irq (can actually disable raising it) but may
be related to other sb handling.

Reply 28 of 33, by Atnevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some digging through boxes and found my Extreme Pinball CD, and sad as I am to admit it, you were right. The other version I was using was... erm.. messed up. Everything is working now. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

I was going to find which file was causing the problems, but oddly enough, all the file sizes seem to match eachother, so I'm not really sure what the difference is. I can tell you for certain that one version floating around out there is buggy and another out there works just fine.

Crazy world...

Reply 29 of 33, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've never gotten a crash screen from the extender like that. When activating the dragon by pressing "d", the game sometimes locks up with a snippet of sound repeating indefinitely; that's the only problem I've seen. The sound system drivers appear to be licensed, but I don't recall ever encountering them elsewhere. There is even a driver for "no sound", and I wonder if there are different versions of the drivers floating around.

Reply 30 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Comparing sizes is not enough. You need checksums for each file. Search for m5sum.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 31 of 33, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This appears to be caused by corrupted data in the game itself. It happens for my copy on Bochs and real hardware, too. It's not sound-related. Just after the artifact appears, the drawing routine is called in the wrong mode. That's what causes the black vertical lines, the illegal reads, and then the crash.
I haven't managed to find when and where the artifact is drawn, which is annoying.