VOGONS

First post, by Herr Koos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've been having blast playing all my old games in DosBox. So far, I haven't had any trouble with running a game, but I've got a nagging problem when I enable the joystick. It's a Sidewinder 3D Pro, although Windows doesn't pick it up as such.

I'll try and stick to the requested format:

Motherboard: Intel BX 440 chipset
Processor type and speed: P3 800
Amount and type of RAM: 256MB, probably SD RAM
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: 32 MB Riva TNT 2
Sound board: Not 100% sure, I think it's a SoundPro.. It's not a true Soundblaster card, though it works perfectly in DosBox
Operating system: Win 98 SE
Game name: Any flightsim that requires a joystick. I've tried Strike Commander, Wing Commander 1 & 2, Privateer and Armada.
Description of problem:Setting the "joysticktype" value to anything other than "none" prevents DosBox from loading. The window pops up, but it's just a black screen. I get no error messages.
Reproducibility of problem: Every time I enable the joystick in dosbox.conf before loading DosBox.
Sound mode used: SBpro2, Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.
Video mode: Direct3D
Version of emulator: DosBox 0.65
Steps already attempted to solve the problem: The moment I disable the joystick in Control Panel, DosBox finishes loading and then works normally, but obviously the joystick then doesn't work. I've tried installing the joystick as a simple 2 button 2axis, but this doesn't work either. I've also tried starting DosBox with joysticktype=none and then changing it later, but then it doesn't pick the joystick up at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.