VOGONS

First post, by bugmenot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anyone on planet earth run Syndicate wars at 20+ frames a second in DOSbox? It does have 3D so I guess it'll always be a huge performance hit because of it but... it's the wars baby, c'mon!... move along!

Reply 2 of 6, by mefistotelis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Syndicate Wars works great in DOSBox.

Try downloading patches and DOSbox config file from:
http://syndicate.lubie.org/

It looks like inside the "strategic mission" you can set greater cycle rate than in a menu, without sound shuttering. On my P4 2.4 I can set up to 65 000 in mission, and only to 45 000 in menu.

Reply 3 of 6, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the EA classics edition "Syndicate + American Revolt" which is run directly from CD. The game then creates a directory C:\synd where it saves its configuration settings and save games.

I am using DOSBox 0.65 and have found out that the game crashes after the Sound card selection screen if memsize (dosbox.conf) is set to 32mb instead of 16mb. Yet on my real DOS-PC it works with 64 megs of RAM.

Maybe it's a bug, I don't know...

Best regards,
Christoph

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 4 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Syndicate Wars!=Syndicate 😀
Why do you change the default memsize? It's best left at 16mb,
i don't know any dos game that would be faster with more memory
running under dosbox.

What memory managers did you use on your real system?

Reply 5 of 6, by gigawing2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

>Can anyone on planet earth run Syndicate wars at 20+ frames a second in DOSbox?

YES!

I have it running at full speed on Athlon 4200 and high-res (640x480).

The key here is running the menus at ~15-20k cycles and running the game at ~80-110k cycles. Use cycleup/down to toggle between the two.

Read the comments on Syndicate Wars @dosbox.sourceforge.net for a full description. SW runs perfectly with the right settings!!! And I was surprised too!