VOGONS

First post, by tycho1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section]

Ok, so here's the skinny: I had an MT-32 when I was a kid, and I played games like SQ, Silpheed, Prince of Persia, Stellar-7, the works. I had this awesome music in my video games before I could even appreciate it. So I recently installed DOSBOX, and after reading a bit through these forums, found a way to emulate an MT-32. So I installed the requisite files, and now the MT-32 emulation works in both Scumm and DOSBOX (0.65). The only problem is that the instrumentation is incorrect. For example, I load up Future Wars (great game). I remember that the music played during the intro was strings, deep cellos, things like that. But through DOSBOX, I get a piano. A great-sounding piano, but a piano nonetheless. This issue pops up in other games as well.

This seems to me to be a sound font or bank issue. I remember that when I would start up a game (say, SQ3), the front LCD panel would indicate that some sounds were being "uploaded" to the MT-32. Am I missing soundfonts for these games? If I am, where can I find/install them?

I really want to hear the opening from Silpheed, just once more...

Reply 1 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is great music. Search for the [midi] section in dosbox.conf.
Set it to:
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

This should pass all MIDI data through to the Windows sound driver. For this to work, the MT-32 emulation driver should be the default MIDI driver in Windows' settings. (Use config=1 or another number if it isn't -- check the README for more info).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 8, by tycho1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'll give this a shot when I get home.

For the sake of clarity:
I've got the MT-32 files (2 of them) in my system32 folder in Windows, as well as in the DOSBOX folder.
To change the MIDI settings, I just go to control panel, then Sounds & Audio, then change the default MIDI device to the MT-32 emulator (which should show up there, right?)
Then change the dosbox.conf file to reflect your suggestions, yes?

Like I said, I'll give it a shot when I get home. Is it sad that the prospect of listening to Silpheed once again is more enticing than happy hour with scads of women? A testament to the power of reclaimed childhood, I guess. 😄

Reply 3 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's right.

Silpheed plays pretty well with Munt (with the exception of some slight hissing in the intro). Space Quest 3 has a few parts at too low a volume in the intro. Future Wars and Prince of Persia are pretty faithful too.

BTW, I compared these to a real MT-32 (it does sound better, but emulation is an acceptable alternative in many cases).

About the women... play Leisure Suit Larry and have women with MT-32!

Reply 4 of 8, by tycho1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So Munt is a "DOS emulator" as well? I was under the impression that Munt was merely for MIDI stuff, like listening to music, or using a MIDI sequencer. I'll try that, as well. Thanks much!

Reply 5 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, Munt is just an MT-32 emulator. It is used by DOSBox.

I meant emulating the MT-32 compared to a real MT-32 (DOSBox doesn't care about which device you use).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 6 of 8, by tycho1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dude! Installing Munt totally worked. I didn't have to futz with dosbox.conf at all. I just installed Munt according to instructions, and - SHAZAM - listened to Silpheed in full MIDI glory. I listened to Future Wars for the first time in more than twelve years, and it sounded exactly as I remember it. Almost brought a tear to my eye. Thanks, Kippesoep, your help is much appreciated.

Reply 7 of 8, by tycho1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can I just geek out for a sec here? I just finished installing every old game that I have that either A) I loved, B) uses the MT-32, or C) both. It's a pretty big list, but suffice to say that I am coming off of twenty minutes with my first love, Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon. What these guys were able to pull off using a paltry sixteen colors and the MT-32 is nothing short of miraculous. Truly, the games from this particular era were works of art. Consider, then, that I am playing SQ3 on my PC using the MT-32 at the tender age of fifteen, an age where all of my peers were playing Mega Man 2 (and rightly so - it is a classic). But whereas Mega Man tickles a particular part of your brain, so too do the Sierra graphic adventures, the SQs and QGs (I still prefer Hero's Quest, though), the LSLs, even the occasional Codename:Iceman. But these games nurtured your brain, they made you read, and ponder, and more often than not, think your way out of a problem, or around an obstacle. With GTA being the pre-eminent "defining" video game of the current generation, it's no wonder these kids are all pretty messed up in the head. 😢