Demanding games for DOSBOX? *Conroe test*

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 81, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding SS Enhanced:

Okay - oddly enough, the 640x480 resolution is only marginally slower than the 320x200 one. The 800x600 res crashes DOSBOX.

You are running regular 0.65 build, right? Can you try that [800x600] with ykhwong's build? I am just curious if it is something my patch fixes -- I've seen the issue in some apps (like whatvga) but I haven't seen it in games yet. That was actually expected, the issue was most likely for highres games and most of these were not playable until recently.

Reply 21 of 81, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using ykhwong's latest build for all games because of its extra features like Direct3D support. 😀 I think the 800x600 crashes because it's an external patch that needs to be run - who knows, maybe my version isn't compatible with the one it's meant for? Every other game I tried in high resolutions (Settlers 2 at 1024x768, also Afterlife and mechwarrior 2 at 1024x768) work very fine.

Reply 22 of 81, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jesus nice tests. Is it odd that dosbox is one of the main reasons I'd buy an extremely fast CPU? Very Happy I figure in the future I'm going to play powerful new games too + use vista, so its going to be a dream running everything on dosbox.

Believe it or not, DOSBOX was the first thing that came to mind when I read about the Conroe's performance. Since I built the system on wednesday, I've mostly been testing the demanding DOSBOX games so that says a lot doesn't it 😉. Not surprising since a lot of my favorite games were quite demanding.

Reply 23 of 81, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

how smooth does the graphics animate? and how crisp is the audio in both the cannon fodder games?

Last edited by franpa on 2006-09-05, 00:43. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 24 of 81, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With video I take it you mean graphics? The original used to have a movie at the start but I lost my disks and can't find that version anywhere online.

And Cannon Fodder used to be very smooth already on my old AMD 64 3000+ but I'll give the games another go tonight to make sure.

Reply 25 of 81, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

updated above post and thanks for the testing..... never new there was a intro vid for cannon fodder... only ever played the demo and what i now assume is the cracked version.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 26 of 81, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

how is Dungeon Keeper behaving? Just had someoe asking for this game because it ran poorly for him.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 81, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i found the easiest crash proof way to speed dungeon keeper up (windows version) is to tell it to use "windows NT 4.0" compatability mode.... get him/her to try that.

my website

Reply 28 of 81, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dungeon Keeper runs extremely well - even a bit too fast in the game itself (this was also a problem with more recent computers when run natively) - the problem I had before was the map screen where the narrator explains about the land you're trying to conquer which used to stutter terribly but not anymore.

Reply 29 of 81, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the animated intro is very hard to find - I can't even imagine how I lost my disks. I bet someone nicked them 😢 Cannon Fodder 1&2 was already very playable on my previous PC though, should be perfect now.

Reply 30 of 81, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

thanks for testing, I passed your findings on!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 31 of 81, by maxxus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Red,

What did you do to get Skynet working? I've been trying for like 5 years seriously to get that game working in 640x480 and the only machine it works on is an old 75mhz which is too slow to do it right. I just built a W95 P2 and I think it works on there, but it errors out the monitor because it's out of range in 640x480.

So anyway, how did you get it working in Dosbox? It crashes Dosbox for me, and in straight XP it freezes at the "Detecting FPU" part. You'll be my hero if you can tell me how to do this. SKYnet is one of my favorite games *ever*

I'm using Dosbox .065 and have a Geforce 7800 GT XP Pro SP2, 2 gigs of ram, 2.53ghz p4.

Reply 32 of 81, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

try ykhwong's CVS build and/or try with varous cpu cores and sound setups (this in game setup). I suggest normal core. SVGA works in dosbox, though you will still need a fast machine to get it working at reasonable speed (e.g. core2duo).

Reply 33 of 81, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Red, […]
Show full quote

Red,

What did you do to get Skynet working? I've been trying for like 5 years seriously to get that game working in 640x480 and the only machine it works on is an old 75mhz which is too slow to do it right. I just built a W95 P2 and I think it works on there, but it errors out the monitor because it's out of range in 640x480.

So anyway, how did you get it working in Dosbox? It crashes Dosbox for me, and in straight XP it freezes at the "Detecting FPU" part. You'll be my hero if you can tell me how to do this. SKYnet is one of my favorite games *ever*

I'm using Dosbox .065 and have a Geforce 7800 GT XP Pro SP2, 2 gigs of ram, 2.53ghz p4.

First of all, are you using a ripped version or the original CD? Second of all, always replace DOS4GW with DOS32A. Other than that, the game should run fine if you use a recent CVS and use dynamic mode+auto cycles.

Reply 34 of 81, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i agree with Sreckos and red_avatars post. skynet should be playable on your system with core=dynamic and cycles=max, but only on low resolution.

anyway, back to topic...
ive played around last days with some simulation games, that beats the crap out of my CPU!
first some voxel engine games with SVGA:
comanche 3: <10fps unplayable
shattered steel: playable but some slowdowns in heavy fights (shild hits).

US navy/marine fighter: unplayable
and grand prix 2: playable but with reduced detail.

all games tested with yhkwongs latest CVS on a athlon fx @ 2750 MHz.
@red_avatar, i whould appreciate if you could test some of these on your system...

Reply 36 of 81, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We ordered the parts for the custom Core 2 Duo machines that we are building for our work PC's today. So I'll be building those sometime next week....works out well since I'll be able to evaluate the performance for myself when I build my new machine at the end of this year.

We also started ordering the Core 2 Duo laptops (D520) from Dell today. I'll see if I can run some DosBox benchmarks on those.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 37 of 81, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll be upgrading to an E6600 soon too, and hope to run it at 3.0 GHz. Sure, two of the main reasons will be MAME and DOSBox, even though I have a perfectly nice DOS-based system (well, minus the case). I estimate games running at mid-level Pentium performance, like a P-150 or so. At the moment they do about a 486 DX2/80 or so.