VOGONS

First post, by TheNexxuvas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could have sworn there was a "talkie" version of Police Quest 3. I was playing the game in dosbox and got it all configured and what not, but it has the better sound version but no voice.

Am I crazy or did my Police Quest collection possibly not package the voice version with the one I bought?

If mine did have voice...what changes would I need to make in the resource file to get DosBox to pick it up?

Thanks in advance...I was not able to find anything on it in the search...only about how to configure PQ4 speech (which is awesome).

Reply 1 of 3, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The collections have always had the talkie versions where possible - King's Quest V&IV were talkie, so was Leisure Suit Larry VI and Quest For Glory 4. So I doubt III had speech and I haven't been able to find anything about it having speech from Google.

Think about it though: PQ4 was released just when CD-ROM started to appear (1993), while PQ3 was a few years older (1991). Yes it was released on budget on CD later (also bundled with other Sierra software) but it would be odd of Sierra to add speech for an older game.

I still need to really play Open Season - the first two are classics I'm sure, but the unknown-to-none-Americans laws are too much of a hindrance in the them. I mean, jaywalking? That doesn't even exist in a lot of countries. In Belgium, the pedestrian is seen as the weaker, and the cars should watch out because they are not in any threat of getting harmed by them.

Reply 3 of 3, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote:

I still need to really play Open Season - the first two are classics I'm sure, but the unknown-to-none-Americans laws are too much of a hindrance in the them. I mean, jaywalking? That doesn't even exist in a lot of countries. In Belgium, the pedestrian is seen as the weaker, and the cars should watch out because they are not in any threat of getting harmed by them.

Huh? You only solve what they give you, not beat-cop stuff. 😉 Open Season/PQ2/PQ3 is detective work especially.

Also no PQ3 was not released with voices. The characters were modeled off of actors and employees though, hence why IMDB or other websites list a "cast" for PQ1/3. Christopher Daniel Barnes (Spiderman TAS, Little Mermaid) is who Sonny Bonds is modeled off for instance.