VOGONS

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having problems with this great game. It is is the CD DOS version. As I have XP, I need to use DOSBOX for it. I have been able to get it running EXTREMELY slowly on DOSBOX 0.65 and I am hoping that there has been some new info on this game. Increasing cyles and framerate do not help much at all. It takes five mintues just to load the game, as opposed to two seconds on my old Windows95 machine.

Reply 3 of 6, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it uses a dos extender Dos4GW or something similar, then you could try and use Dos32a in stead because this one is more stable and packs greater speed.

Erik.

Reply 6 of 6, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html

If it uses Dos4GW.exe as a file then just rename this file to *.old and copy the dos32a.exe in the BinW directory of Dos32a's package to the game's directory. Then rename to Dos4GW.exe.

If it doesn't use the file then it uses a binded extender, for this you need to do a lot of things, first set the user system variable Dos32a to the installationpath of Dos32a. Then copy the SB.exe in the BinW directory to the game's directory. Make a backup of the old games exe. Aftherwards execute the folowing command from the cmd prompt inside the games directory

SB.exe /R /BNNewGame.exe Game.exe

NewGame.exe = filename of the new exe.
Game.exe = filename of the existing exe.

As third option, you could use D.O.G. it supports this extender. You only need to select it as an option in the profile manager and it will automatically decide what to do for your application, and does it. Unselecting unbinds the Dos32a extender. It also includes a bit of information on how to install it for D.O.G.

Dos32a is not a miracle worker, but thends to be faster and more stable under a dynamic core.

Erik.