VOGONS

First post, by fabs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So like the subject says I'm running Quest for Glory 4 the CD version under DosBox and I'm hearing music, but I'm not getting any sound effects. I've tried it with VDMSound and I do get both, but the game also than runs incredibly fast during combat and I've not been able to get any of the usual programs to take care of that. Under DosBox the speed is also fine.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you might have configured different IRQs in VDMS and Dosbox. If there is an install or setup program that comes with the game try that one again, or see if that can be set in the game.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 7, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try using a different type of sound card from the selection?
Dosbox emulates several different types.

Either that or play around with the settings in dosbox.conf for the irq/dma for the sound card you've chosen. Some games can be a bit finicky about the settings they use.
Personally I like to keep track of what I change, for when I want to change it back.

Reply 5 of 7, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember this game well. I also remember that it was one of the most buggy games ever produced. And that is with TRUE Dos. I think the only way I ever finished the game was to play the windows version but either way you will need to get the PATCHES if you hope to get either one working right at all.

Reply 6 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hazekel wrote:

I remember this game well. I also remember that it was one of the most buggy games ever produced. And that is with TRUE Dos. I think the only way I ever finished the game was to play the windows version but either way you will need to get the PATCHES if you hope to get either one working right at all.

Incorrect, the bugs you refer to relate to speed and timing. Running QFG4 with a PC it was intended to run on will result in no bugs (besides anything related to gameplay glitches of course).

The infamous tombstone, muck slide and all the crashes that occur upon closing some doors are solveable by just decreasing cycles in DOSBox. 😀 Same with every other sierra online game.