VOGONS

First post, by Maktaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the new (to me) release of DOSBox 0.65, I thought I'd go back and replay Dark Forces, my favorite DOS game ever. But when I hit Detention Center I got a DOSBox crash shortly into the level. The same thing happened in Fuel Station (several times). I went back to DOSBox 0.63 to test and had no problems.

The crashes occur at the following locations:
Detention Level:
* Point of arrival for the wedge-shaped lift platform a couple minutes into the level. Walk toward the rack of blaster rifles and the game crashes. Works 9 times out of 10.

Fuel Station:
* Right at the level start, walk around the Moldy Crow to the set of fuel barrels. Blow them up, collect the goodies, then walk back around the nose of the Moldy Crow. Half the time, the game will crash as you move back around the nose of the ship.
* Walk along either of the curved staircases in the level (one near level start, one on the other side of the station). Works 9 times out of 10.

On all crashes, I get the same message in the DOSBox window:

Exit to error: IRET: Illegal descriptor type 0.

System specs:
A8N-SLI standard
Athlon 64 3700+
1GB PC3200 RAM
Geforce 7600 GT
Windows XP

I'm not sure how to find out what video mode or sound mode I'm using in DOSBox, but can get that information if needed. I'm using the same configuration settings (that is, default other than emulated speed) in both versions.