VOGONS

First post, by blue_robyn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried installing the game to the hard drive (I have both the original CD & the two-disc one that's part of the collection). I have a few problems:

When i clicked opening it says "Can't open movie file."
When I finally get the game to load, it skips the opening cartoon. I can't see any talking or anything (When I click to talk on someone all I see is the picture for half sec, then it disappears and the conversation is over).

I went step by step through Sierra's instructions http://www.tawmis.com/collector/Games/KingsQuest/KQ6&XP.html & it still doesn't change viewing the speech files.

Also, the mouse doesn't change unless I drag it out of the screen & back in.

Any suggestions? Does anyone know anything about the King's Quest windows XP compatable package? Do the games really run like they are supposed to?

Thanks!
~Lora

Reply 1 of 6, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the same problem. I don't get a message saying "can't open movie file" it just skips it completely and jumps into the game. I also tried with DosBox in Windows 3.x and had the same problem with the opening.

Reply 3 of 6, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does it have the hi-res portraits? I figured the new XP collection would only have the DOS version running in emulation. I can run the DOS version fine. The Windows 3.x version is the one giving me problems.

Reply 4 of 6, by blue_robyn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know enough technical specs to be able to answer your question. I just know that I couldn't get my games to run under Dos box or on windows so I bought the Windows XP compatible version and they work fine now! 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maxor127 wrote:

Does it have the hi-res portraits?

No, it doesn't.
As you already have guessed, the "Windows XP compatible version" is just the inferior DOS version with a presetup Dosbox configuration

So blue_robyn: Your Kings Quest is indeed running with Dosbox, even if you don't know it. 😉