VOGONS

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Prohibition appears to support both CGA and Tandy, although in CGA mode, the scrolling is completely broken (at least under DOSBox 0.65). When I try to run the game in Tandy mode, however, it STILL shows the same CGA graphics/broken scrolling, and plays PC speaker sound.

Is the game supposed to run like this on Tandy machines, or is there something wrong with my copy of the game - am I missing the required files for Tandy mode, or something?? (The presence of a file called "IBM.BIN" in the game directory - but not "TANDY.BIN" or anything similar - leads me to suspect that).

Please help... thanks in advance

Reply 2 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes and yes. When I first tried the game it was with machine=cga... the scrolling has been broken under every DOSBox version I've tried (since 0.61). If I remember correctly from my childhood (heh), on an actual XT/CGA machine the scrolling used to be very smooth AND fast... could be a fancy hardware trick or something.

When I set machine=tandy, and select Tandy in the game's own startup menu, it still gives the same CGA graphics and pc speaker sound. That's why I think it might be a missing game file - I remember someone here posting about a similar problem with Thexder (solved when the full file set was obtained)... but ALL the copies Prohibition that I've managed to find have the same files that I do, no extras.

Reply 4 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same for me here. Using PCJr mode. I believe Tandy mode is the same as CGA in this game (it's there just for compatibility reasons, but who knows). It also supports special CGA mode Amstrad PC1512 had (which if I recall correctly had 16c in low resolution). Anyway the scroll is broken and game cannot be played.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)