VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today, I was recommending some games to a friend, and realised I hadn't tried Pizza Tycoon on DOSBOX yet, so I went ahead and got it off an abandonware site. But after I set up the sound in the install menu and entered the game, I still didn't get any sound. Sound nor music.

After trying varying settings (considering music only had one option, and no setting, there's little to do wrong really) I decided to dig out my CD version of the game, in case the game I had downloaded was somehow damaged. After installing the game, I get the same problem: no sound or music. I remember that this game had music playing when the game was started, yet nothing in DOSBOX.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Or could anyone confirm this? In case it's a specific DOSBOX setting that causes this (I have tried with several versions, but still, they all use the same settings).

Reply 1 of 7, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yup, pizza tycoon uses a sound blaster FM driver that dont like dosbox.
you can test it by running the sound.com from the sound folder manually.
it gives you an error like: fm feature not available on the card.

well, the only workaround i found (after hours of modifying and testing) is to reduce cpu cycles to something like 3000.
after the sound driver is loadet you can increse it back to normal values.

hope this help

Reply 4 of 7, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, "auto" is default in all CVS versions I download now. But I'll try that, thanks.

EDIT: okay, not only does "auto" have to be turned off, you also have to turn max off. With "auto" core still on, it wouldn't work either - setting it to dynamic works. Also, 8000 cycles works too.

One odd thing is that it uses low DMA for its DMA setting, although it lets you chose from 1 to 7, which usually means HDMA.

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

odd. there is no max setting combined with auto in our code.

auto could work as it keeps the cycles at 3000 unless the game switches to protected mode.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!