VOGONS

First post, by de_zeurkous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem: When giving Blake Stone even half the cycles it needs to run smoothly, the timing (fadeouts, the message timer at the start of Floor 1, etc.) runs way too fast.

System information>>

Motherboard: Giga-Byte Techonology K8NS
Processor: CPU information
Main Memory: 1x512meg DDR333 (no details; don't remember where it came from) 1x512meg DDR400 (Kingston; dunno exact details from my own mem either) both running at 333MHz
Video Adapter: Asus 9250GE (ATi Radeon 9250 w/ 256meg mem, SysV-centric (and, as a consequence, half broken) drivers which are only able to drive the primary output)
Sound Adapter: C-Media CMI8738 (dunno exact type #; the 4-channel version)
Misc. hardware info: Detailed PCI map

Software information>>

Operating System: Slackware BSD/Linux 10.2
Kernel: Linux 2.4.31
Window System: X Window System
Emulator used: DosBox 0.65
Game version: Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold 2.10 Registered

Software Configuration>>

X Window System: excuse the mess
DosBox: Last config I tried before giving up

The Problem(TM)>>

Generic description: see the start of this post. That's pretty much it.
README file: read
What I have attempted/CPU: {dynamic,normal} cores, cycle adjustment (which caused the problem in the first place; see above)
What I have attempted/SDL: double buffering, resolution.
What I have NOT attempted: modes with a lower resolution than 640x400 and those with a lower bit depth than 24 (the ATi drivers choke on those modes nowadays; they used to work, but I do not feel like kludging with the ATi drivers for two weeks again), windowed mode (blegh. 'nuff said.)

On a related note, filesystem access also seems to be a bit slow (at least when overlaying a UNIX filesystem; probably because of conflicts of interest between VFS driver and emulator?), but that isn't much of a problem for me.

Can somebody please help me to get the fscking thing working right? It's nice to have anything at all work in dosbox (I'll leave that rant for another time), but only being able to play Commander Keen gets boring fast (no offense to CK or Tom intended)....

edit: fix links
edit^2: corrected video chipset info

Reply 2 of 5, by de_zeurkous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using the overlay output and/or running windowed only slows the whole thing down a bit -- the timing problem is still there. Also, I do not feel like running windowed on 1024x768 or changing my X config file to include modes like "640x416" (dunno the exact size of a twm title bar, but you get my point)...

Reply 4 of 5, by de_zeurkous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried the latstest source zipball from that URL (why use ZIP for UNIX sources anyway?!), and apart from a minor procedure (no ChangeLog was present and automake choked, so i symlinked ChangeLog.bak to it) it seems to have fixed the problem.

edit: clarify