VOGONS

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an ancient copy of the original LODE RUNNER. Unfortunately, it is on DISK and requires the original disk to be in DRIVE A. Well, most new computers don't even have a DISK DRIVE anymore, so I want to play from hard drive. How can I make this work? As far as I can see there are only two files on the disk ; LODERUNN.COM and LODERUN. I do not see anyother files on the disk. Surely there is a way to get around the old DRIVE A check?

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And it doesn't work if you copy the files in to \some\folder\on\your\harddrive, and then do a

Z:\> mount A "\some\folder\on\your\harddrive" -t floppy

?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No. It still checks the real drive a:??

Here is the BAT file I am using.

dosbox.exe A:\LODERUNN.COM -c "mount a D:\ARCADE\CLASSICS\Lode\ -t floppy" -conf D:\ARCADE\CLASSICS\Lode\DOSBOX.CONF -fullscreen -exit

Reply 3 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try this:
dosbox.exe -c "mount A D:\ARCADE\CLASSICS\Lode\ -t floppy" -c "A:\LODERUNN.COM" -conf D:\ARCADE\CLASSICS\Lode\DOSBOX.CONF -fullscreen -exit

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 7, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, now it doesn't check the real DRIVE A but neither does it recognize the disk as real. It says insert disk and press enter. I do so but nothing happens. I checked the real DISK and there do not appear to be any hidden files.

I think Sierra DISK used the same copy protection, but I don't know how that was removed. The game book says it can tell whether the files are copies or the originals. How?

Reply 6 of 7, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I don't know how legal it is, but I found a cracked version of the original LODE RUNNER on the web. I use the LODERUN.DAT file from the disk and the new EXE file to start the game. It runs fine now.

Reply 7 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Most likely they used some very low-level protection like hal said
(bad/weak sectors, nonconform sector counts and so on).
Not much you can do about that from the emulation side,
besides using "fixed" files.