VOGONS

First post, by Vaelor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

As per this thread, I recently upgrading my version of DOSBox from v0.63 to v0.65 to get Leisure Suit Larry 7 working. It solved my problem, and that game now works perfectly.

However, the other game I'd recently needed to use DOSBox for, Fury of the Furries, which was working perfectly under v0.63, now does NOT work properly since the upgrade!

The game freezes completely a few seconds into the intro sequence. The music keeps playing fine but nothing happens visually.

If I bypass the intro (which is a seperate EXE to the game) and just run the game, it starts up fine, the menus are fine and smooth and everything's great until I actually start up a level, at which point the game grinds completely down, rock bottom FPS, laggy music, flickering graphics - pretty much how the game runs without using DOSBox at all.

It worked fine under v0.63 though, and I haven't changed anything. What do I do now??

Vaelor's Keep

Reply 1 of 3, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game is very sensitive to cycles in the original 0.65. In a later CVS the problem is slightly fixed but the intro still crashes easily. In the 0.66 Release Candidate we're testing right now, though, everything runs perfectly so if you're patient ... 😀.

Reply 2 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Vaelor, you can easily have 2, 3 or 4 versions of DOSBox installed. Just install each of them in a separate directory. If you then add one of the graphics frontends, it becomes very easy to launch each game with the best (compatible) DOSBox version.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 3, by Vaelor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Vaelor, you can easily have 2, 3 or 4 versions of DOSBox installed. Just install each of them in a separate directory. If you then add one of the graphics frontends, it becomes very easy to launch each game with the best (compatible) DOSBox version.

Thanks for the tip, but I am absolutely not interested in going to that much effort. That seems ridiculously excessive to me, I'd rather just have one program which does its job. I'm happy to wait for the v0.66 release as red_avatar suggested.

Also, I'm a command line user, I have no interest in using a GUI front end any more than I have in installing four different versions of DOSBox. =D

Thanks anyway guys. At least I know it's a known issue, I'll wait for the next version release! Cheers.

Vaelor's Keep