VOGONS

First post, by Mecha105

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so i finally picked up my old copy of the 7th guest game and installed it. after I installed it, it will run after i install it. but after i exit dosbox and go back to it, it says "error loading sound driver" when i try to run it again after exiting. I tried reinstalling many times and uninstalling, but it just wont work.

Reply 1 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Please tell us which version of DOSBox you use, tell us if you have made any changes to the DOSBox configuration, tell us how you mounted the emulated drives, tell us how you installed the game, configured it, and started it.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 20, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...and look for Updates or Patches. I didn't try the game in DOSBox yet (so many games to play...), but i read on some website that there are some sound-related updates available for T7G.

Reply 3 of 20, by Mecha105

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the newest version (0.65), I have not made any changes to the default config for dosbox. I mounted my cd drive via this path "mount d d:\ -t cdrom" and my c "mount c c:\oldgames" (c:\oldgames before installation and c:\oldgames\t7g after). I mounted the c drive to the original old games file and installed it through dosbox. I've done that with several other games and they work perfectly. I let the installation configure it for me. It selected the SVGA video mode for me and it chose soundblaster pro 2 for both music and speeches. I started the game right after installation and it works. But after I exit dosbox and re-enter it, i mount my cd drive and my c drive correctly and it says "error: couldn't load sound driver". I've tried re-installing it with different sound devices selected and it does the same thing.

Reply 4 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

NEVER change mounts. Decide how you want to mount, and KEEP it that way.

Reply 5 of 20, by Mecha105

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't believe I've changed any mounts besides adding alittle to the c drive path after I installed it. I followed these same exact steps for installing cyberia and that game worked perfectly.

Reply 7 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't believe I've changed any mounts besides adding alittle to the c drive path after I installed it.

You "only" changed it a little -> you changed that. DON'T DO THAT as you were told.

Reply 8 of 20, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks for a specific folder when searching for the settings you entered. If you change the folder, it will look in c:\oldgames\t7g\t7g which doesn't exist so do what wd says. Why did you change it anyway? It's only ASKING for trouble.

Reply 9 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Mecha105 wrote:

I don't believe I've changed any mounts besides adding alittle to the c drive path after I installed it.

And if you were a girl, you would be a little pregnant, not really pregnant?

Reply 12 of 20, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble installing the game also, except my issue is with the installation not recognizing that the CD is in the drive. I'm using DOSBox 0.70 and I have 2 hard drives mounted (C: and D:) and the CD ROM is E: I am using "mount e e:\ -t cdrom" to mount it. I have installed many games so far from the CD drive with no problems, but this one is strange. I run the install program from disc 1 and it says to use disc 2. I insert disc 2 and the install program says that the disc is no inserted and all I can do is exit the install program. I tried copying all the game files over to the hard drive manually and running the game. The game starts up, but than says that the CD is no in the drive. Very strange indeed.

Any ideas on what is causing this or how to correct the issue. I have not tried some of the optional parameters for the cdrom drive, but I will and get back with what happens on that. I have however mounted the cd rom drive as the d drive just to see if it is picky about that and I had the same issue.

Reply 14 of 20, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... just tried the CTRL+F4 thing as well as remounting the drive adding "-usecd 0 -ioctl" and other variants and still a no go. Like I said this is the only game I have encountered this issue and it is very odd, especially since it is running the install program off the cd.

Of course there is a patch for this game to allow it to run in XP and I have used it before. I may just do that instead of trying get this work, but I'll probably end up messin around trying to figure this one out. I'm just like that.

Reply 15 of 20, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got 7th guest to work by installing it in xp and then running it in dosbox, but it is best if you can get it to install through dosbox. Also, you should never mount your entire hard drive because it can cause major problems.

Reply 17 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

CodeJunkie - you should try the KISS principle. Why 2 emulated harddrives? Why use E for the CD?

Reply 18 of 20, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I keep all my games on a different partition then applications and the OS. Always have and always will. I am a programmer and often have a lot more software then most people. I did this it in the emulator just in case I decide to play around and setup software other than games. I have already been testing old Borland compilers which I put on my C drive. But that has nothing to with issue at hand.

It is possible that the game expects the CD drive to be D. I need to test this theory, of course I do not remember this being an issue back in the day. I'm at work right now though and do not have the game with me to test so it will be done later today.

Reply 19 of 20, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried to make the CD drive D: instead of E: and that was a no go. Out of curiosity though I mounted the the CD rom as a regular drive (mount e e:\ instead of mount e:\ -t cdrom) and that did the trick.

Last edited by CodeJunkie on 2007-07-19, 00:21. Edited 1 time in total.