VOGONS

System shock 1

Topic actions

First post, by ArchiveoftheDead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, need some help with system shock on DosBox.

I followed all the steps and instructions I could find on running it on windows, but it didnt work out, so I thought I'd try dosbox. It had more success, but I ran into this once I mounted the drive:

ScreenShot051.jpg

So whenever I type CDSHOCK or SSHOCK, it just tells me it's an illegal command. Can you guys help?

Reply 2 of 38, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You are mounting the virtual C-drive wrong. Try removing the last directory from the mount-path.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 38, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like your problem is using an 'abandon-ware' version of SYSTEM SHOCK. The CD-ROM release never had a game execution batch file which looks like your screen-shot. The Looking Glass programmers never attempted to use real-mode only "Ultramid.exe" to make a Gravis Ultrasound sound-card function with the protected-mode floppy version v1.5S of SYSTEM SHOCK. The v1.6C enhanced CD-ROM version never officially supported the Gravis Ultrasound.

Get a legit copy and try again.

dvwjr

Reply 4 of 38, by ArchiveoftheDead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually I have the CDSHOCK batch file. Would using VDMS work for switching to Soundblaster? Because I don't believe you can go and buy the game still. If that won't help, I also have the floppy version. Yet when I tried to go to that one, I still got illegal command. Somethings up...

Reply 5 of 38, by ArchiveoftheDead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Damn, using VDMS to switch to soundblaster didnt change it from reading it as Gravis. For some reason my Shockgus.bat shows it as gravis. The strange thing about it is the sound test worked just fine. I got the elevator music and SHODAN talking to me. Hmm. It tells me to simply type cdshock for cd version and sshock for original, yet nothing works. Hope you guys can help me out.

Reply 7 of 38, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aside from a silly install.bat on the CD root folder, this game plays fine out of the box with Dosbox 0.7

just install from the INST folder:
Assuming C: is your mounted HD drive and D: is your mounted CDROM drive do the following commands:
D:
CD INST
INITIAL

For sound card settings: General Midi -> Autodetect and SB16 -> Autodetect
Then install the game to C:

After that, run CDSHOCK from the SSHOCK folder

After cool intro and into game, choose 640x480 resolution for a better looking game (works smoooooooth, excellent work guys 😀 )

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 9 of 38, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Then make one: http://tinyurl.com/2wwte3

Reply 11 of 38, by Maxis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ArchiveoftheDead wrote:

So whenever I type CDSHOCK or SSHOCK, it just tells me it's an illegal command. Can you guys help?

Just copy \HD\SOUND\GRAVIS folder from the CD to the installed directory (C:\SSHOCK\SOUND by default)

dvwjr wrote:

Looks like your problem is using an 'abandon-ware' version of SYSTEM SHOCK. The CD-ROM release never had a game execution batch file which looks like your screen-shot. The Looking Glass programmers never attempted to use real-mode only "Ultramid.exe" to make a Gravis Ultrasound sound-card function with the protected-mode floppy version v1.5S of SYSTEM SHOCK. The v1.6C enhanced CD-ROM version never officially supported the Gravis Ultrasound.

Get a legit copy and try again.

I have this image and it was built in 1994 according to the header. Too early for the abandonware release, I guess.

Reply 12 of 38, by pepemorph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i downloaded system shock 1 on the internet but i cant make it work on dosbox and i have windows vista. i have tried the xp patch and even some instructions on how to make this abandon ware game work on dos box.but nothing works can you guys help me.

Reply 13 of 38, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

pepe - I recommend you get advice from where you downloaded your copy.

Reply 14 of 38, by pepemorph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well if anyone can help me i would like it very much because i even tried getting advice and i even bought a new original legal copy of the game and it has the same error, so if you please can help help me because i really want to play this game. thank you!

Reply 18 of 38, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Qbix wrote:

you might want to start by telling what you typed inside dosbox

I feel like i repeating myself

I want to know all commands

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 19 of 38, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And for the record: SS and SS Enhanced both work flawlessly in DOSBox. I've installed the game some time ago using original media, in DOSBox 0.65 or 0.70, and didn't have any problem at all. Get a legit version, read the DOSBox readme to learn how to mount your drives correctly, and you will have no troubles at all with the game.

(Sorry for being grumpy, but i'm beginning to get really annoyed by all this "Abandonware" crap. Read my lips: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ABANDONWARE, AND ABANDONWARE SITES SUCK. THE GAMES YOU DOWNLOAD FROM THESE SITES ARE REPACKS OF PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED GAMES, AND GOD ONLY KNOWS IF ALL CORRECT AND NEEDED FILES ARE INCLUDED IN THESE ARCHIVES.)

P.S.: pepemorph, does this look familiar:

I always get an error play any game on dosbox

Read the DOSBox readme and the FAQ's on VOGONS to learn how to properly use DOSBox.