Rank Newbie
Rank

well Qbix these are the commands to install system shcok 1
z:\ mount c c:\sysinstall
z:\ c:
c:\mount d e:\inst\
c:\ d:
d:\initial

e is my real cdrom drive and d is my virtual e drive, and c:\sysinstall is my folder that i created to install the game and c is the virtual drive c:\sysinstall
so that's the commands i enter to install system shock on dosbox

Reply 22 of 38, by pepemorph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes e is my cdrom drive and i am try to install it from an application on that subfolder of the cdrom because if i mount it on the cdrom folder and i use the only application to install the game on that folder it dosen't run and i get an error on dosbox, please make a reply for this problem of mine

Reply 25 of 38, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pepemorph wrote:
well Qbix these are the commands to install system shcok 1 z:\ mount c c:\sysinstall z:\ c: c:\mount d e:\inst\ c:\ d: d:\initia […]
Show full quote

well Qbix these are the commands to install system shcok 1
z:\ mount c c:\sysinstall
z:\ c:
c:\mount d e:\inst\
c:\ d:
d:\initial

And these commands are wrong. These are the right ones:

z:\> mount c c:\sysinstall
z:\> c:
c:\> mount d e:\ -t cdrom
c:\> d:
d:\> install

or if the install doesn't work, then:

d:\> d:\inst\initial.exe

Reply 26 of 38, by pepemorph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah it worked but i could't install it on my emulated c drive i installed it on a subfolder of my emulated c drive because for some reason it couldn't write the game on the emulated c drive and it was an error.may you please help me anyone

Reply 27 of 38, by pepemorph

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i cant install it on the directory i want because for some reason the game cant write it's files on that directory but i installed it and i played it right after i installed it and it worked but when i wanted to play it again i made my commands to run and it said illegal command and also some files started going to other directories and that file was cdshock.bat . so i still have some problems with this game but the sound detection did work and it didn't work before so thank you miki and everyone but i still need help on these other problems on system shock 1 so please help me.

Reply 29 of 38, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pepemorph wrote:

i cant install it on the directory i want because for some reason the game cant write it's files on that directory...

Look, pepmorph - you seem to be a bit intellectually challenged, so you should visit the strangebedfellows.de website where they have a pre-packaged SYSTEM SHOCK setup called SYSTEM SHOCK Portable v0.9 that uses Dosbox. you will be very happy with the end result and i will be happy that i will not have to read your ee cummings runon sentences anymore since they just have a way of going on and on with no actual end or point except to bleat for help until you get so bothersome that someone will give you a solution to make you go away and hopefully enjoy the game so that you will not have any more problems and ask people to make more replies for this problem of yours which never seems to go away or get better since you are a few fries short of a happy meal or even that your deck does not have all fifty-two cards when it comes to using dosbox v0.72 to run system shock which you want to play so much and can not make work in any fashion since it is so hard to install from the original december 1994 cd-rom enhanced version that is why the game was a failure in the commercial marketplace since no one could figure out how to install the actual game from the cd-rom to a hard drive just as you are having problems doing the same thing only it is like say thirteen year later not using an actual 486 or pentium pc with an older video card but rather dosbox with an emulated 486 and emulated video card and emulated sound card with an emulated keyboard and mouse which make the game think that is is not on an emulated pc but a real one which is great since you can now not be able to install the game just like thirteen years ago, since i am running out of breath dictatating this to my dragon software i had better stop and wish you luck with getting system shock to run on your installed dosbox by visiting the site i mentioned above so that you can no longer have problem that you need anyone else to help you with so that you can finally play the game or at least are able to emulate the failure to install the game just like in the days of old.

breathlessly yours,

'eecummings'

Reply 30 of 38, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehehe... I had prepared a harsh comment on pepmorph's mental abilites, but decided to not submit it - seems i'm not the only one who's annoyed by his continous b*tch*ng, though. (;

pepmorph, you could at least try to write comprehensible english. I'm no native speaker mayself, but i try to build complete sentences with proper punctuation. Your posts are horrible to read. And they are illogical. You write "it worked", and in the same sentence "couldn't install...". What now - does it work, or not, or only sometimes?! Chaos in your head, chaos in your writing. The fact that you fail to provide error messages, config details, etc. doesn't help, either.

You won't get much love here for your cries for hand-holding, too. You've already been given the exact commands to install the game. What else do you want - someone to come to your place and hold your hand while installing the game?!

I already feel sorry for the Strangebedfellows.de guys, 'cause i see them being asked a lot of silly questions, pepe-style.

Reply 32 of 38, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, but that's elitist bullshit. I don't feel like a "smartie" at all. I'm glad when i can help people to make old games work, and i'm happy that a place like VOGONS exists, where people can get support. And i'm kinda proud to be a tiny, tiny part of the development of DOSBox, sometimes.

It's just very frustrating to read stuff from people that are too lazy to think for themselves, or to read a readme file or some FAQ's. I strongly dislike this stance in RL, too.

Reply 33 of 38, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the problem these days isn't it - people expect everything to be obvious from the word go. They still don't get that this usually means that stuff has to become more tedious and slow to use not to mention things being dumbed down so people could fit it inside their sometimes tiny brains.

I honestly don't get what's so hard about mounting - it seems like tons of people don't get what mounting does. I mean jesus, I was 13 when I first got a PC and understood DOS in a few months by messing around without any manual to help me. I could create bootdisks, improve my memory, etc. If a 13 year old with no earlier knowledge or manual can do this, why the hell can't people do it when they have a nice and detailed readme.txt to help them out and don't even have to bother with all the real complicated things DOS demanded. Lazy lazy people ...

Reply 34 of 38, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You are not the only one who has observed this trend R.A.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,1787713,00.asp

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 35 of 38, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hehe btw. learning by doing, i was quite amazed that you could increase
the disk space from 20mb to 200mb with a small tool, just to find out
after the reboot that it wasn't THAT useful (was some fdisk-like tool where
you could manually modify/mess up partition tables 😀 ).

Reply 36 of 38, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I didn't really trust that the Commodore PET ROM was really read-only. Suspected that it was the BASIC interpreter that prevented my POKE-commands from changing data in certain areas of the address space. So that was the first thing I tested when learned how to write 6502 machine code. It was ROM 😀

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 37 of 38, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh... Ages ago, an old engineer and coder was trying to teach me the hexadecimal system and CP/M on what must have been one of the first Apple IIe's in germany, but i was more interested in playing Summer Games, Aardy the Aardvark or Skyfox. Shortly after that, i was ripping raster bars and sounds from C64-demos, and mashed the bits and pieces together to create new demos. Never really got into coding, though.

Reply 38 of 38, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah but the trend is towards simplification and obscuring the depths of computer is reality and truthfully, emulation fans are really the ones bucking the trend. Who can blame people who find DOS and DOSBox confusing, when the most popular desktop OS, Windows, has abstracted away it's hidden complexities with every subsequent release?

The same issue, where confused neophytes blunder around with little to no historical or hands on context, shows itself in varying forms on almost every emulation discussion board.