VOGONS

First post, by Bjomesphat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried using Dosbox .63,.70 and VDMsound, but I've had no luck. Everytime I start the game is says "unable to initialize audio hardware". I fiddled around with the settings, and I was eventually able to get the music working (even though that message still appeared), but the speech would not work.

In the installation menu, it said my computer was compatible with "CMS Sound Blaster" (this was under the speech section), but it still would not work. There were also a couple of other options, CD-ROM audio, IBM PS1, Tandy With DAC, and Disney Sound Source, but all of those said were incompatible with my system. I tried them anyway, but they did not work. I was able to get the background music to work by using the "Sound Blaster Card" option (which was under the audio section), so there is no issues there, but it is just the speech that isn't working.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or has anyone gotten this game to work with speech? Keep in mind this is the Enhanced CD version.

I tried to give as much info as I could, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, the game isn't an image where I could just mount to Daemon Tools or something, it's a bunch of files. And I'm running on Windows XP.

Reply 1 of 3, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lower the CPU cycles before starting the game in dosbox (and then after the game loads set them higher).

This is a well known Sierra bug

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While it is easy to fix this in most Sierra games, is hard to fix this error with Jones CD. Lowering cycles alone does not help and the GOSiERRA patch does not work. I have found how to get it going, though. See this.