VOGONS

Discworld 1, config problem

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 29, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I once had a similar problem with midi music in a game (don't remember the title), but I got sound by playing with the settings in windows. You might try changing the default midi device in the audio properties and see if that makes any difference and also make sure that all the volume sliders are all the way up.

Reply 27 of 29, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, there is a version of Discworld, either from Abandonia or from HOTU, that doesn't include the sound drivers properly and gives the errors you describe. With an original version of the game, there is no such problem. (It also works when combining those two versions, but I didn't just say that).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 28 of 29, by psyco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm... ok i've just noticed something, when i run the installer, the .BAT file it contains

echo off
dwu -s
if errorlevel 1 goto install
goto gorun
:install
dwu -i
dwu -g
call gdrivers
setsound
goto run
:gorun
dwu -g
:run
dwb

and dosbox doesn't use standard dos language... so anyway there are 2 other .BAT files, that the installer use's

GDRIVER.BAT

echo off
xcopy D:drivers

and...

CONFIG.BAT

echo off
setsound

in that order. like i said dosbox doesn't use standard language, so it doesn't know what 'xcopy' is witch is why it fails

...and THAT is why it messed up initially, so then, like wd said, copy the contents of d:/drivers to the install root, but now there read-only, so i removed the read-only on setsound.exe... but then i still can't hear the midi's so i took a guess, disable the read-only on the rest of the files, and now it works:) so yay me, and thanks to everyone that helped