KQ7 CD-ROM

Topic actions

First post, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Operating system Windows Vista

Game name (and version, if applicable) King's Quest 7, 1st collection series

Description of problem: when trying to run game in DOSBox the following error comes up:

Can not find 999.pal resource.
If this is a CD-ROM game please make sure that a CD-ROM is loaded.
If you continue to experience this dialog make sure your CD-ROM drivers are loaded properly.

Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.) Always

Sound mode used

Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)

Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+) DOSBox .70

Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!) Printed and read README. I tried the following:

mount d f:\ t cdrom

mount d f:\ t cdrom usecd KQ_CD2 aspi

mount d f:\ t cdrom usecd 0

mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd KQ_CD2 -ioctl

The last one sounded as though the computer was trying to run the CD (as the other commands didn't do a thing) but it still game me the same error.

Suggestions?

Thank you for the time.

Reply 1 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you mounting just ONE CD? Try using the SEARCH feature of the forum looking for image swap.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
squigum wrote:
I tried the following: […]
Show full quote

I tried the following:

mount d f:\ t cdrom

mount d f:\ t cdrom usecd KQ_CD2 aspi

mount d f:\ t cdrom usecd 0

mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd KQ_CD2 -ioctl

The last one sounded as though the computer was trying to run the CD (as the other commands didn't do a thing) but it still game me the same error.

Suggestions?

Suggestion #1: Remember to spell the mount options correct. Options always begin with a "-":
mount d f:\ t cdrom becomes
mount d f:\ -t cdrom

mount d f:\ t cdrom usecd KQ_CD2 aspi becomes
mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd KQ_CD2 -aspi (which is wrong, because -usecd must be followed by a number)

mount d f:\ t cdrom usecd 0 becomes
mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0

Last edited by MiniMax on 2007-03-13, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 21, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Suggestion #1: Remember to spell the mount options correct. Options always begin with a "-":
mount d f:\ t cdrom becomes
mount d f:\ -t cdrom

mount d f:\ t cdrom usecd KQ_CD2 aspi becomes
mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd KQ_CD2 -aspi (which is wrong, because -used must be followed by a number)

mount d f:\ t cdrom usecd 0 becomes
mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0

I will try again with the "-" in there. How do I figure out what the CD number is?

Yes I am mounting just one CD, do I need to be mounting more?

Reply 5 of 21, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I typed in mount -cd and it said:

CDROMs found: 1
0. E:\

Next I tried typing in:
mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl

Then to try to run the game typed:

mount c "c:\DOSBox stuff\MyGame"

cd sierra\KQC\KQ7d

KQ7

And then I get the same error as I typed above in the first discussion.

I know there are other options on what to type to get the CDROM to work as listed in the README. Which one should I try?

Thank you again, I know I'm a pain.

Reply 6 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squigum wrote:

I typed in mount -cd and it said:

CDROMs found: 1
0. E:\

It's the first number shown before drive letter (0 = ZERO in your case)

mount d E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 21, by squigum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That makes sense. Once I did that again it sounded liek the computer was trying to run the CD. But when I proceeded to type the followiung I still got the same error as before, see below what I typed.

mount c "c:\DOSbox stuff\MyGame"
mount d E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
c:
cd sierra\KQC\KQ7d
KQ7

Then I got the same error. Any insight?

Reply 8 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

try providing a valid label for the cdrom.

mount d E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl -label <label>

Right click on the cd drive from My PC > Properties to see what label it has.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 9 of 21, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sierra games don't look or care for the CD label, so this isn't necessary. The error indicates, that the game can't find the necessary resources, probably because the entries in the "RESOURCE.CFG" are wrong. This is probably due to a faulty installation. Since squigum already posted this error with the wrong mount commands (drive d: for e: ) I guess that he installed the game outside of DOSBOX first, which of course leads to problems.

squigum wrote:

mount c "c:\DOSbox stuff\MyGame"

First, it would be better to not directly mount the game directory, since some games (not this one) tend to have problems, when they appear in the root of the drive. So use this instead:
mount c "c:\DOSbox stuff"
and change to the game directory inside of Dosbox

Second, reinstall the game from INSIDE Dosbox and also start the game from there WITHOUT changing the mount commands.

Reply 10 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Wintermute wrote:

So use this instead:

No!

My 60-seconds guide assumes that the installation is done completely inside the DOSBox environment. Mounting a separate MyGame directory for each install makes MyGame = C:\ for that particular game.

If the installer creates a subdir for the game during install - fine!
If not - fine too.

And if people start to be "creative" during the installation of a pirated copy by unzipping a ripped version into the emulated C-drive, or if they start to mix and match installations done from Windows, with installations done from DOSBox, then I simply refuse to help 😈

Reply 11 of 21, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

My 60-seconds guide assumes that the installation is done completely inside the DOSBox environment. Mounting a separate MyGame directory for each install makes MyGame = C:\ for that particular game.

Which I think is totally unnecessary and creates extra and unneeded amount of work. To have a different mount command for each game and to change it every time makes more trouble then it's worth. It is way much better to just enter the mount commands once into the Dosbox.conf and don't change them later at all!

So I still say:

Wintermute wrote:

So use this instead:
and change to the game directory inside of Dosbox.

Yes! 😉

Reply 12 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Okay - and when the newbie f.cks up the install, and need to start all over with the installation of their game, what will you tell them?

Reply 13 of 21, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, what's the difference in your mentioned case if you mount specific directories or just one?
But I think that the chances to "f.ck up" your installation are less to begin with if you don't change the mount commands in the first place. This forum is full of newbies who have problems just because of this, because they have problems in understanding the functioning of virtual drives.

Obviously the thread starter did a faulty installation and all the previous advices before didn't help.

Nevertheless, the best option would be still if the Dosbox installer incorporated some Auto-Mount startup configuration (optional of course). Then Newbies only had to deal with "normal" simple Dos-Commands like changing directories or drive letters. I might suggest this for the Dosbox Wish List 😉

Reply 14 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I have had it on the Wish List for there to be REMed mount commands in DosBox.conf for each OS...

I don't think the noob users should be asked on install where to mount folders since they will not know what they should mount or not. There are only 3 possible common sense locations to use with just plain DosBox.

WINDOWS

\Games\DOS (Most non-noob's use a Game directory....it may be on another drive though. Permissions also need to be set if they are not admins.
\Program Files\DosBox\Games (Permissions would need to be set)
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents (IIRC, permissions would not need to be set)

This shouldn't be up to just plain DosBox tho. This is really more of a frontend thing. If DosBox devs decide to use one of these frontends for official DosBox then the user would not need to worry about it. (They would still have to have an understanding of mounting though unless custom tailered frontends/installation scenarios were taken care of by the frontend.....PITA tho.).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 21, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

There are only 3 possible common sense locations to use with just plain DosBox.

There is another one, which I would prefer:
[Dosbox-Installation-Directory]"Hard Disc"
so you would have the Virtual Drive us a subdirectory of the whole Dosbox installation.

Actually this installer should only be needed for Windows, since the normal Unix/Linus user should know enough about Virtual Drives anyway. The Auto Configuration should be a selectable option (enabled by default, since the newbie wouldn't enable it himself 😉 )

(They would still have to have an understanding of mounting though unless custom tailered frontends/installation scenarios were taken care of by the frontend.....PITA tho.).

I don't think this would pose a problem, since this option would only be for users who have no clue anyway. 😉 The idea is to take the whole extra configuration away from this user so the installer could just check all the drives and configure Dosbox automatically without much input from the user, who may only be confused by this.

If there would be interest I can look into this myself.

Reply 16 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

This shouldn't be up to just plain DosBox tho. This is really more of a frontend thing.

Well.................. It could be.

How about if DOSBox - when it reached the end of the autoexec section(s) and the end of any -c options, checked if any drives (except Z: was mounted)?

If no drives were mounted, at that point then a default directory somewhere in the users home-directory (exact location would be platform specific) would be mounted.

Reply 17 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Wintermute wrote:

So, what's the difference in your mentioned case if you mount specific directories or just one?

The difference is that I can ask the n00b to completely erase, delete and burn the MyGame directory and then start over. If a common directory is used, then you need to

1) Know which sub-dir the game is installed in.
2) If it created any CFG files in the root
3) Tried to add statements to a dummy CONFIG.SYS / AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
4) Any other game specfic stuff being done to the shared directory.

Reply 18 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would have to be a config option in dosbox.conf then since we'd run into a user who wouldn't want DosBox to mount the default directory.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

WINDOWS

\Games\DOS (Most non-noob's use a Game directory....it may be on another drive though. Permissions also need to be set if they are not admins.
\Program Files\DosBox\Games (Permissions would need to be set)

Please no - don't polute my root dir, or my programs dir with data-files.

DosFreak wrote:

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents (IIRC, permissions would not need to be set)

Maybe... But why not %HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH% (which would translate into C:\Documents and Settings\My User Name\My Documents on most systems? No permission problemes there.