VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are some CD games, like Loom and Tomb Raider, that evidence bugs when played in Windows XP that have nothing to do with DOSBox.

In Loom, once the distaff starts sounding notes, only the first note will sound, the other three notes will remain silent, as will anything the character says immediately afterward.

In Tomb Raider, the music for the cutscenes is always delayed by a second or two, causing it to become out of sync with the action. Also, the level ending screen may cut off the tracks.

I believe that the Windows XP CD layer, IOCTL is the cause of this. I believe this because Loom and Tomb Raider exhibit the above behavior regardless of whether I run them in DOSBox or natively. In my Windows 98 PC, both run perfectly, at least natively (will test Loom tomorrow with DOSBOx .70.)

Could there a way to work around this, (other than scummvm and Glidos?)

Reply 1 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you are referring to the "talkie" version of Loom because I have the original and it fits in just a few 720KB floppies.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, its probably a DOSBox issue, not a CD hardware layer issue. I tested it by playing Loom in DOSBox in my Win98 machine, and I get the same results. I mounted the CD with the force ASPI option, but that didn't help.

Reply 4 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd have to give the same workaround as LoneLines, when I make a cue/bin copy of CD-Rom games with tracks I get much better results. It's not a solution but a workaround.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you did the bin + cue thing, did you have the a separate wave file for the CD-Audio and did it come from a real CD? I ripped my true Loom CD with Clone Cd, which creates an img + cue. Yhkwong's DOSBox build supports using img files instead of bins + wavs.

Reply 6 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course with Loom, the best way is to rip the audio track and play through ScummVM. I do agree with you though, that there have been issues with CD audio in DOSBox, especially with the Coktel Vision CD games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@GH: When I rip a game, I'm not doing something fancy like having a seperate wave file. I'm just ripping it and have everything in the iso (I may not know enough now about bins or isos, I have ripped some games to iso some to bin, at least isos can have data and tracks in them). I only made isos/bins of of original CDs

Reply 8 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course with Loom, the best way is to rip the audio track and play through ScummVM.

I'd agree entirely, except that yhkwong's DOSBox CVS has a graphic scaler that in full screen completely blows away anything else when viewed on an LCD monitor.

Reply 10 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some good news. If I mount a CD image of Tomb Raider with Daemon Tools, the in-game cutscenes seem to be in sync. But no matter how I mount the Loom CD, it still will only sound the first note in a thread.

Reply 11 of 13, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always create a BIN/CUE of CDs with Audio tracks.

Also, make sure to load with IMGMOUNT and *NOT* with Daemon tools and the like (I had a similar problem with my version of Shadow Caster were if mounted from Daemon the Audio tracks would play out of sync but if mounted through IMGMOUNT they would play perfectly...

Other than that, if you don't have the original CD version of LOOM, you may have a bad copy where the position of the Audio track position is incorrect (since LOOM is one big Audio track, the exact position where the music starts to play is critical). In this case ScummVM would probably be the best option (or somehow remaster the CD...)

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 12 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one idea left I would like to try. I do have an original Loom CD (and the Audio Drama CD), both are in good condition. That gap between the data and audio track really throws recording software for a loop. What I would like to do is to burn it using CDRWIN in my Win 98 machine, and transfer the resulting bin and cue over to my XP box. I have made images with my DVD Rewritable (Plextor PX-716A SATA), but they may be somewhat suspect in terms of their fidelity to the real CD (the real CD also makes the loudest noises in the drive.) I will also try the image in Win 98 with DOSBox, because DOSBox evidenced the same problem when trying to read the CD from the drive itself.

Reply 13 of 13, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The noises are probably because the CD is not balanced well (is there an extra sticker on it?)
If you have an original CD, a BIN/CUE should be fine I think (you probably need to read it RAW though, but I think that's the default).

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com