VOGONS

First post, by bugmenot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is not really a request, but I think I should post it here.

INSTALL.COM shows only detected devices. In DOSBox 0.70, with cycles <= 13846 or "auto" (which is 3000 when not "max") it detectes Sound Blaster. With cycles > 13846 or "max" it detects Adlib only.

The game runs fine either way, though it runs smoother with 15000 cycles. I found this by experimenting since the first thing I did when I ran DOSBox was CTRL+F12 to 15000 cycles and run INSTALL.COM, then I just tried without increasing speed for no good reason.

Another interesting thing, if you select MT32 in INSTALL.COM, it'll give good music and reasonable sound effects with a general MIDI device on the host, but if you select General MIDI instead, nothing is heard in the game.

I guess the game sends some SysEx to the MT32 so the instrument set is equivalent to the GM. I don't have a single idea why it doesn't play any music/instrument when GM is selected.

Reply 1 of 7, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the QuestStudios forums very recently:

"The music uses all 16 channels indeed, but it also uses a pitch bend sensitivity of 12, while General MIDI uses 2 by default.

Selecting "General MIDI" in the install program, then running the game, correctly sets the appropriate RPN controllers to set the pitch bends to 12, but due to a bug in the TIM.EXE file, no music data ever gets sent after that. (How bad was their QA department anyway, that they didn't spot this obvious bug?)

Selecting "MT-32" in the install program, then running the game, sets the GM-emulating MT-32 patch bank, but then plays the music on channels other than 2-10, which you'll miss with an MT-32. You can use the SC-55 with this install program selection, but the pitch bends will be wrong, because the General MIDI init wasn't sent, since we selected MT-32....

Therefore, the ONLY correct way to hear the music as intended is to use a SC-55, first select "General MIDI" so that the proper RPN controllers get sent, exit the game, select "MT-32", then run the game with the SC-55 attached. Of course, you'll have to do this every time you want to play.

And that is why Dynamix is stupid.

That and their lack of "MT-32 plus Sound Blaster" option, even going so far as disabling MT-32/General MIDI completely in one game."

By the way, the reason the MT-32/GM MIDI both 'work' is because there is only one set of MIDI files for TIM- the SC-55 General MIDI ones. The MT-32 gets sent the 'Chris Stevens' SysEx bank and so it tries (badly) to emulate the SC-55. Quite sad when you think what the ol' MT was capable of.

Regards,
- Spike

Reply 2 of 7, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The cycles thing about soundblaster detection is a known bug...

Back when I had a 486DX4 I had to press the TURBO button to make the computer slower to get those Sierra games to identify my sound blaster, after I moved to Pentiums that trick stopped working (but, if you were an owner of an ESS, it WOULD detect it... I remember how that ticked me off...)

And for the life of me I have no idea why SIERRA never fixed this...

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 3 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They did. Updates sound drivers for Sierra adventure games were posted on the Sierra FTP site (and they're still available). Not for TIM though, since the drivers are not separate files.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 7, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember using some update, but it didn't solve my problems with the Audio detection for my original Creative AWE64 card on a pentium.

Doesn't really matter anymore now that I have DOSBOX 😀

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 6 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GM works, but even though the setup splits digital sounds from music, some sound effects, such as the little "Whew" fur ball in the opening screen, can only be heard with SB selected for music, not when GM is selected.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 7, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just found out about a TIM patch, you can get it here:
Re: Sierra/Dynamix sound driver hacking

It fixes the missing MT-32 instruments, General Midi plays and SoundBlaster works on high cycle configuration.

I've asked the original contributor if he could do a fix to the sequel, TEMIM.