VOGONS

First post, by Gamer_Clown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello i am having problem with the old dos version of conquest of the new world. i have downloaded dosbox and the game runs fine it is that when ever i click to play game in the main menu the game just crashes no error message or anything and i cant find anything to help me because the game is so old i cant trouble shoot it can anyone help me on this one?

(i am running windows xp but like i said the game runs fine i can even play the battle demo in the game i just cant start a real game)

Reply 1 of 29, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

YOu need to provide some more info. Do you have the CD version or the disk version? Have you applied any of the patches (you can get them here http://www.patches-scrolls.de/)? Also, does the game crash back to DOSBOX or does DOSBOX crash?

Reply 2 of 29, by Gamer_Clown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running it from a cd and dont need dosbox running to start it it just wouldnt install. the game just crashes while it is loading a game. i have also downloaded the patches but they dont seem to help anything it still crashes while loading

Reply 3 of 29, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game will crash in XP. You WILL need DOSBOX but I recommend trying DOSBOX 0.70 with the cycles set to AUTO and core set to DYNAMIC. I run the game with DOSBOX 0.65 but it is still somewhat slow. I have not yet tried DOSBOX 0.70 but suspect it will run more smoothly on it.

Reply 5 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well...... There is a whole subsection of VOGONS dedicated to DOSBox guides.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 29, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Assuming the disk is you CD, you will need to mount the CD as well as the directory where it is installed.

Here is my BAT file:

dosbox.exe C:\STRATEGY\NEWWORLD\CONQUEST.BAT -c "mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl" -conf C:\STRATEGY\NEWWORLD\dosbox.conf -fullscreen -Exit

The DOSBOX.CONF file should have CORE=DYNAMIC and CYCLES=AUTO

Reply 12 of 29, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Hazekel wrote:

Well, for me they were needed. The game would not run right without it. What is the problem?

they make no sense.
if cycles=auto is needed then the core will become dynamic as well if you leave it on auto.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 29, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I assume you are referring to DOSBOX 0.70, but, as I stated, I was using DOSBOX 0.65 so there was no CORE=AUTO in that one. I had to use those setting to get it to work.

In any case, since this is about CONW, can I ask if anyone knows how to get the game to run without a CD. I have the CD, but it is annoying to have to drag that CD out of the hundreds of CDs I have in storage everytime I want to play. Does this use some sort of CD check, or can I set up a directory with the needed files and label that directory "CD" under DOSBOX? Any help would be appreciated and alleviate my having to rummage through CDs all the time.

Reply 14 of 29, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well you could create an iso image, or if you prefer just copying stuff
over mount it like
"mount d c:\something\conw -t cdrom -label WHATEVER"
but no idea if this actually works with this game.

Reply 15 of 29, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still can't get the game to run without the CD, but don't know why.

This is the bat file I am using:

dosbox.exe C:\STRATEGY\NEWWORLD\CONQUEST.BAT -c "mount Q
C:\STRATEGY\CONW\ -t cdrom -label DISC6 -usecd 0 -ioctl" -fullscreen -Exit

I did notice that there is a file on the CD called CNW.CD, but this bat file doesn't seem to work. I even copied the entire CD to that directory just in case, but still no go. It if is just looking for CNW.CD I don't see what the problem is, especially since the game appears to run entirely off the Hard Drive.

Reply 17 of 29, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay. Two new problems.

1. The aspect ratio is again squished, like it is widescreen, except that it was not supposed to be widescreen. I have tried changing ASPECT to TRUE but to no avail.

2. This game always ran slow even after changing DOS4GW to the DOS32A so I tried DOSBOX 0.70 but it doesn't make any difference. The game still runs sluggishly. Is there a solution to this yet?

Reply 19 of 29, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does this game run better on 0.72? I have not tried it yet, but could never get it to run without being sluggish. Has this game been tested yet on the latest DOSBOX? I would love to get this game running finally.