VOGONS

First post, by Firekahn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks...

I've just bought one of the games that remained in my memories since my early childhood: WC III. I've even got it on running with proper sound, speed and videos but sadly I realy don't know how to run an USB Joystick in DosBox. Since everybody is talking about the configs of a Joystick but I seem to be to dump or blind to find a easy guide to get one running you might answer my humble question of:

Could anybody please help me getting my Cyborg on Running?

Specs: DosBox 0.70, Win XP SP II, Saitek Cyborg Evo / USB

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if the joystick is attached to the PC and is "seen" by Windows (go to Control->Gamecontroller) then it should just work on Dosbox.
When you start up Dosbox you should see in the console something like "using joystick xyz with .. axes and ... buttons"
When all this is true then you got the first hurdle without having to do anything.
Now you just need to edit dosbox.conf (more on dosbox.conf is in the readme) and in the joystick section ([joystick]) edit it like this:

joysticktype=4axis
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false

Additionally there was a patch for WC3's joystick routine that makes the joystick less erratic (the search here could be able to help you find it). if it still does not work correctly, try the "timed" setting (true/false).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

hmmmmm.... no idea then.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 10, by Firekahn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok now I got the message that the update is running but doesn't get any notebook gameport access. Does this mean that I have to use the crappy old Gameport on my soundcard? I don't even got an adapter?

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the patch for WC3 is irrelevant if the 2nd Dosbox window doesn't say a joystick is attached. Why it doesn't find your Joystick is beyond me. My two USB joysticks are found without a problem.

Reply 9 of 10, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> the patch for WC3 is irrelevant if the 2nd Dosbox window doesn't say a joystick is attached.
In 0.70 it's irrelevant at all. (Use timed=true for WC3 though this will not fix the detection problem)

1+1=10

Reply 10 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

true h-a-l, I just remembered that I tested this for the first post 0.65 beta, I think.