VOGONS

First post, by KingGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am playing KQ7 from the King's Quest Collection. KQ1 though 6 ran in DOSBOX 0.63 but KQ7 ran in a window. The firecraker speed bug prevented me from finishing the game, so I applied the DOSBOX 0.7 Upgrade Patch. KQ7 looks great in DOSBOX (much better than in windowed mode!) but now the DACBLAST.DRV audio/speech driver sounds crappy (lots of static, as if the audio signal is boosted too high for the mixer). The audio/speech sounded fine before the DOSBOX 0.7 Upgrade Patch. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've tried all the speech drivers that came with the game as well as a few others. The only one that works at all is the DACBLAST.DRV driver. I am all out of ideas.

Reply 3 of 5, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe the automatic cycle setting doesn't work correctly. Try using the old method: setting it to a fixed value in Dosbox.conf (I use 16000) and change it via CTRL-F11 -F12 until the game works fine.

I have a suspicion that automatic cycles only work correctly on faster computers, since I got audio problems or jerky gameplay with many games, when I have Auto enabled. Manually - no problem.

Reply 4 of 5, by KingGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the feedback. DOSBox doco says setting cycle settings too high can cause decresed audio quality. I tried several fixed cycle settings including 16000, 1600, 800, 400, and 200 then adjusted up an down from there. It made no difference. Synthsized music and graphics are both smooth at all cycle settings, but speech and sound effects had static at all cycle settings. The game hung when changing screens if cycle settings were too low, and since they did not appear to affect sound quality at all, I put cycle settings back on auto.