VOGONS

Reply 60 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And finally, RAINE.

I've tested the latest DOS version available, v0.42.4. Works fine, but performance varies according to the game driver used. Taito and CPS1 games are playable, but not CPS2, at least not in my humble Athlon64.

ssFiyOO.png SqfBEdX.png

VbP6TDy.png uWoNg8R.png

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 14:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 63 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite a few PC Engine/Turbografx emulators, Atari Lynx and many others. The question is. Is that really useful or is it purely trivial?

[EDIT]
DOS version of MESS for example.
I gotta feeling this thread is becoming quite dispersive.

Reply 66 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried several GameBoy emulators...

1) KiGB v2.01 - Works fine and emulation is 100%, but it is a bit slow:

7o7I0sn.png f95FZSS.png

Amm5EXL.png iikNBFL.png

2) Boycott v0.55b - Allegro crash.

3) GB97 v2.937 - Emulation is less accurate than in KiGB, but the games run way faster and are more playable, even if it feels a bit too fast (auto-frameskip maybe?). Sound quality is also lesser.

vhIVlsi.png W9jF1g3.png

hZQNRF9.png s89Jvv5.png

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 14:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 67 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's super-cool. On the other hand I dad no chance in making Resident Evil: Director's Cut, X-Men Mutant Academy, Resident Evil Gun Survivor work with AdriPSX.
But stlll... look at this MESS:

dmess000vd3.th.png dmess001hj6.th.png dmess002vp9.th.png
IBM PC / MSX / MSX

dmess003jg8.th.png dmess004pm9.th.png dmess005mu3.th.jpg
GameBoy / EuroPC / EuroPC

dmess006su8.th.png dmess007gf6.th.png dmess008gw4.th.jpg
IBM PC XT/ Spectrum / C64

DOS MESS 0.89

None of the above can be considered playable, except for ELKS and GWBASIC (those aren't games though)

Reply 69 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The speed isn't even close to the real thing on my system
Windows XP
Athlon XP 2400+ 1Gig of RAM
DOSBox 0.70
I don't know about other PC's or other versions of DOS-MESS. The games run slow and skippy, that won't allow you to play. Furthermore, I experienced some problems typing (i.e. what I type won't match what I'll see on the screen after I typed it) but that was a known issue at that time.
If you can, I suggest that you try it out so we'll have one more opinion (and maybe some advice).
And you'll have *nix running inside DOSBox, although in a tricky way...

Reply 70 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to say my experience matches yours.

I have an Athlon64 3400 with 1 Gb of RAM, and I've tested the same version of MESS with the Amstrad CPC464 driver.

It takes forever to get started, even to load AMSDOS. Don't want to imagine how slow more complex drivers will be.

I think it runs even slower than that NeoGeo specific version of MAME I tried some weeks ago. And that one was very slow.

Reply 73 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I knew I was forgetting something... C64.

Tried VICE v1.12 (the DOS port is still updated). Works well if slow-ish, I should try CCS64 later.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-21, 18:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 75 of 136, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are the two last images from "La aventura original"? Cool game. 😎

Wow, I am feeling nostalgic now. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 76 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last three are. Text adventures are great to test C64 emulators because joystick replacement in C64s is a bit tricky, and these games don't use a joystick.

For all those who haven't hear of this game, back in the old days there was this little Spanish group, Aventuras AD, who made some great text adventures. If only they had translated them to English, they would be classics of the genre. "La Aventura Original" is a Spanish remake of "Colossal Adventure", but with very cool graphics.

Reply 77 of 136, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I remember Colossal Adventure... Played the real Fortran-version in glorious yellow-on-brown colours on a Dasher DG-210 terminal.

What now?
xyzzy
Nothing happens.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 79 of 136, by angrylion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GBA emulation is also possible under DosBox 0.71. Use no$gba 2.4c (DOS version). This emulator can be found here: http://nocash.emubase.de/gba.htm
I recommend that you put the attached .CFG file in the same directory as the unpacked emulator for maximum performance. I must admit that compatibility is great:) nearly every rom ran fine for me. But it is very slow on my PentiumIV 3.0 HT. You would hardly find any pleasure playing games this way, except maybe puzzles or turn-based RPGs. No$gba also automatically switches to 800x600 and a game you play is shown in the small window. You can scale the output to higher resolutions (press numerical "-" for menu) but it may (or may not) have some impact on speed. You can also try to enable sound support in the menu (it is disabled in my .CFG).
Below you can see screenshots from Need for Speed Carbon Own the City, Mario Kart - Super Ciruit, Doom II and Lufia Ruins of Lore (the last one in scale2x mode).
nfscarbonkq9.th.jpgmariokartsupercircuittv9.th.jpgdoomiiyb7.th.jpg
lufiaruinsofloreuc9.th.jpg
Seems like Nintendo DS also shows something under no$gba in DosBox. But it acts slower than a snail. It gets ages even to show some initial menus. Besides, no stylus emulation and no 3D I suppose. Here's a screenshot of New Super Mario Brothers.
newsupermariobrosby2.th.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    NO$GBA.CFG
    File size
    2.13 KiB
    Downloads
    296 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception