VOGONS

First post, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have been trying to get Chronomaster to run with no luck. Whether in VDMSound, DOSBox, or just clicking the exe in explorer, I get the same message:

DFMEM: Aborted, error=2
Attempt to reference invalid handle.

I have tried virtually every combination of parameters in DOSBox (0.61 and 0.70), including disabling all sound. Have tried forcing 256 color, 640x480, etc. Same with VDMSound. Nothing works. Always the same message.

System is Athlon 2.4+, 512meg, XP SP2, GeForce4 Ti4200, SBLive, MSI mobo.

Game lists on this site say Chronomaster will run via DOSBox, so what is the cause of this error? More importantly, how do I alleviate it?

Reply 1 of 3, by warmbear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am also working at getting Chronomaster to run under XP at the moment, and am a bit farther along than you are...

Chronomaster will not run at all without DosBox (or perhaps Virtual PC) under Windows XP.

The error code you are seeing under DosBox is because you have not mounted your CD drive in DosBox.

In order to get Chronomaster to run in DosBox, you first have to mount the harddrive/directory in which you have installed Chronomaster in DosBox, and then also mount the CD drive that the Chronomaster CD is in into DosBox. After mounting both of these in DosBox, you need to switch back to the mounted harddrive's directory, and type "run".

(Type "intro" in the DosBox window to get assistance with mounting your harddrive directory and your CD drive.)

At this point in trying to get Chronomaster to run, I am now seeing complete game crashes to desktop, without any error message generation (that I can find) after I reach the first planet in the game and attempt to interact with the area. DosBox and Chronomaster just both crash completely & cleanly to desktop.

Reply 2 of 3, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whatever this crash is, it is not a sound issue, because I ran setup and selected no sound at all, just to test it. I still had the same crash issue, so it must be something else.

Has anyone got this game running? It says "supported" under compatibility so someone must have gotten it running.