VOGONS

Warcraft DirectSerial Multiplayer

Topic actions

First post, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, now that I'm starting development on D.O.G. 1.54 making it multiplayer capable I found a problem in the Warcraft Floppy Version 1.12 .

I started DOSBox 0.70 with DirectSerial turned on for both PC's. See the conf files. The multiplayer bit worked, the game played well (see the screenies), except for the sound. The moment I clicked OK(Connect) for a directserial connection the game kept on playing the "button click" sound, this until I closed the game, not DOSBox. This for both PC's, a P3 Mobile 1GHz 300MB Ram W/2K and a P4 3,2GHz 1GB Ram W/XP.

While playing the game I noticed in the status window an overrun error(guess one machine is slower then another), and a warning "tried to activate FIFO". Any suggestions on this part? See the attached conf files.

I also tested the IPX server/client and that one worked flawlessly.

Still need to test the other connections.

I also noticed that when moving the DOSBox window or the status window around for all games, that I sometimes trigger a gamecrash resulting in a bunch of Illegal reads to be trown. This could be because I use the max cycles and the dynamic core.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 1 of 43, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> the game kept on playing the "button click" sound
> serial1=directserial irq:7 realport:COM1 rxdelay:5

What do you expect? 😁 Leave the IRQs at their defaults.

The FIFO is just missing, hence the warning. rxdelay is a half-assed replacement.
For the overrun errors try higher rxdelay.

I wouldn't have thought people use directserial for multiplayer...

Reply 2 of 43, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks h-a-l-9000,

Well the irq bit was just because when running Warcraft it said irq 7 (not the only option though 😉 ) so I thought what the heck, will try out the default for it though.

One question though, What happens with the data if a buffer overrun occurs? Does it empty out the buffer and continue or does it hold the data in the buffer and trows away the incoming data?

As for why I'm doing this, just as a test. To make me understand the configurations of these features and so make routines in D.O.G. to make my users life easier and of course the DOSBox build and support team.

I'm struggeling with the modem feature though. I know all settings but I can't get Warcraft to play along. Any tips?

Oh and the click sound is also happening when trying to connect with the modem option. Now that I think of it I did set that one to irq 7 too though 😅

Now that I think of it? Stupid, stupid, stupid me. IRQ 7 and I left the SB too on IRQ 7... 😅 😁 Will check this.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 3 of 43, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well forget about the click bug, that was my fault irq 7, what was I thinking??? Jeesh.

So if someone reads this, one tip

Never set more then one device to the same IRQ!

Makes me think of it, I need to make D.O.G. check this...

Still need help on the modem thing though.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 4 of 43, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bah you make me want to play Warcraft again 🤣 I would never use any of those filters though, it harms the way the games looked originally.

Reply 5 of 43, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well if you like we could start a multiplayer session anytime with IPX. 😉

Over the net, I would love to test that. I only tested it over my own network at home.

True, the filters I used were just leftovers from my experimenting with the new scalers of DOSBox 0.70.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 6 of 43, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well the Warcraft programmers could have made it spit out a error message about IRQ already in use. But maybe it can share interrupts on a real system?

> One question though, What happens with the data if a buffer overrun occurs? Does it empty out the buffer and continue or does it hold the data in the buffer and trows away the incoming data?

the previous byte is overwritten with the new byte.

> Makes me think of it, I need to make D.O.G. check this...

IPX silently uses IRQ11 when active. Another thing to check.

> I'm struggeling with the modem feature though. I know all settings but I can't get Warcraft to play along. Any tips?

at what point did it fail?

(The nullmodem is more user friendly than the modem and should be preferred.)

Reply 8 of 43, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks QBix and h-a-l-9000,

Will add the mouse and the IPX IRQ's. Good to know.

Still one thing is fussy though, what IRQ is used when a serial device is configured without an IRQ? Does DOSBox use the first available IRQ or is it a default value?

> I'm struggeling with the modem feature though. I know all settings but I can't get Warcraft to play along. Any tips?

at what point did it fail?

Well Warcraft fails with no carrier when doing the connect. I guess DOSBox can't connect to my other computer on my home network. I did set one to call and one to answer inside Warcraft. Both to the same phone number, IRQ's,port and baudrate. I included the screens and the confs to this post.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 9 of 43, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

God, it's 14 years old and that menu screen still looks awesome 😜

files/screenpc2_140.jpg

Seriously makes me want to play 😁

Reply 10 of 43, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> what IRQ is used when a serial device is configured without an IRQ?

COM1 IRQ4
COM2 IRQ3
COM3 IRQ4
COM4 IRQ3

> fails with no carrier

You have to enter the IP like this:

or
or
hostname

There is the problem with the modem: games don't accept everything as phone number. Sometimes none of the 3 works.

Reply 11 of 43, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> God, it's 14 years old and that menu screen still looks awesome

Yeah, would be cool if DOSBox had a setup interface with a similar look 😉

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 43, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oo actually I wonder how it would look if I made a DOSBOX screen in the same font - that font rocks.

Reply 13 of 43, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is the problem with the modem: games don't accept everything as phone number. Sometimes none of the 3 works.

Noticed it in Warcraft no dots 192168000002 it is then. Will try it out immediatly.

Thanks h-a-l-9000,

Seriously makes me want to play

Well my offer still stands : Play agains eachother over the internet.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 14 of 43, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll take you up on that after you fix the problems 😉 and after I had a play again - too used to WC2 at the moment 😜

Reply 15 of 43, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I have War2 too, and IPX works for War1. Don't know for War2

Still no modem though,

I tried with the same conf files and settings in Warcraft but with the folowing for both PC's :

PC1 : Phone 192168000002
PC2 : Phone 192168000003

The modem does respond with an unhandled command though see screenies of previous post.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 16 of 43, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> PC1 : Phone 192168000002
PC2 : Phone 192168000003

Uuum no no no 😉

PC1 : Phone 192168000002
PC2 : Mode: Answer

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file E:\Programme\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox .conf MIDI:Opened device:win32 Serial1: Modem l […]
Show full quote

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file E:\Programme\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox
.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Serial1: Modem listening on port 23...
CPU:3500 cycles
CPU:4000 cycles
CPU:4500 cycles
CPU:5000 cycles
CPU:5500 cycles
Serial1: Warning: Tried to activate FIFO.
Command sent to modem: ->ATZ<-

Modem response: OK
Command sent to modem: ->AT Z S46=0 S37=9 N0<-

Modem: Unhandled command: N0
Modem response: OK
Command sent to modem: ->ATDT192168000002<-

Connecting to host 192.168.000.002 port 23
Modem response: CONNECT 57600

Reply 17 of 43, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry forgot to say PC1 was on call and PC2 on answer. Could be beacuse I have set port to 330 in the DOSBox conf though.

Will try out the port 23 tomorrow, lost my second PC to my brother.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 18 of 43, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In that case your phone number is 192168000002330.

1+1=10

Reply 19 of 43, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aha, thanks, will report back tomorrow.

Thanks h-a-l-9000.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc