VOGONS

First post, by belewfripp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I'm a fairly new user to DOSBox, I'd been maintaining a dual-boot system with an excellent bootdisk for DOS games, but then that drive developed bad sectors and died, leaving me with XP only. Fortunately, for the most part I've found DOSBox to work well. It runs System Shock near-perfectly and that's pretty impressive.

However, when I recently acquired a copy of Gamefest: Forgotten Realms Classics I started having some problems, mostly with the oldest games present, Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds. After messing with it for awhile I came to these forums and did a search and found the answers to a couple of problems, namely the error where ti asks for Disk 3 and also finding out that Home and End are used for menu scrolling, not the arrow keys.

With this information in hand I created a party and adventured for about two hours before saving in a couple of slots and quitting. Later I came back, but found that my save game had been corrupted - every slot was taken up with the 6th character of my party. Also, the final letter of my SAVE folder was deleted in my installation - leaving only SAV.

I did a search for this problem as well, but while it seems someone else had the same issue, no one ever addressed it. I'm finding that I can slow the game down just enough with the Moslo included in the anthology to make the game playable from a Command prompt within XP, but it isn't as smooth as DOSBox and just is a little less clean in appearance as well.

The error does not occur when I run the game outside of DOSBox. The game is installed to D:\Poolrad and my confg file for the game has D:\ for the game files directory and D:\SAVE for the save directory.

I'm also concerned that this issue may recur with later Gold Box games that had mouse compatibility,and that this issue will deprive me of being able to use the mouse (something DOSBox handles well).
My system specs are as follows:

- Asus P4 motherboard
- 1.8 GhZ CPU
- 512 MB PC233 DDRAM
- ATI Radeon 9250 video card w/128 MB VRAM
- Creative Soundblaster AudioPCI 128D sound card
- Windows XP Pro
- Pool of Radiance
- This error is reproducible every time out
- For sound I have Soundblaster, Adliband Ultrasound enabled, as well as the PC Speaker
- I'm using DOSBox 0.70 and yes...I've read the Readme, as well as several other threads on these forums about running Pool of Radiance.

Any help would be appreciated. I think it must have something to do with what directories are available to the mounted drive under DOSBox and/or my save game path, but not sure what exactly.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did this corruption happen more then once ?( I mean is it reproducable with a fresh party as well?)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by belewfripp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, it happens every time. After the first time I made some "dummy" characters with nonsense names just to test it out and it caused the same problem. I can reproduce the problem pretty much at will.

Reply 4 of 6, by belewfripp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! It's kind of strange since some people seem able to play without an issue. But if you guys can track down the cause and fix it that'd be awesome.
And thanks for editing the thread title, I guess I could have been a bit more specific.

Reply 6 of 6, by belewfripp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hazekel wrote:

Actually Pool of Radiance is the only one of the series that I cannot get to run with DOSBOX. It is very strange indeed and I can't figure out for the life of me what is wrong.

Out of curiosity, what exactly does it do for you (i.e. in what way does it not work)? As mentioned, I can run the game fine, and it even saves for me, it just corrupts the save files. Since I am able to get it running, perhaps I can help you do the same, and we can see if you get the corrupted savegame issue as well.