VOGONS

First post, by astroboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

im having problems running Psychic Detective, I have 5 computers 2x 95, 2x 98 and 1x Xp as im a collector of adventure games and just bought PD and I use my pcs when I can and if not I use dosbox. when I try to install on both 95 and 98 pcs from windows all that happens is it says it is restarting windows and dose just that so I cant install from windows. I had success installing from Xp windows. I tried to install from both 95 and 98 pcs in dos with a bootdisk and a mouse driver installed but at the end on the install it says some sort or error happened and quits. It seems to have installed in dos ok but all 4 pcs have some sort of card problem that im not in the mood to fix at the moment so I want to use dosbox for now on my Xp pc. I like before said it is installed from win xp but wont play without dosbox and in dosbox 0.65 it gets to the first screen and then the second that says "movie loading" and then it gets to the first frame of the "Electronic Arts" movie but freezes with a ticking sound as if it is playing the sound file with the movie but is a split second into it and dosnt go any further. this is the same for dosbox 0.61 as on the dosbox games page it says its compatable with 0.61.

I have tried to modify the dosbox.conf file like the mem size and the "machine" to "vga" and "core" to "full" etc. etc.

Is there a patch for this or dose someone know how to get it running?

Please help!!!

AB

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Install DOSBox 0.70 and follow the 60 seconds guide in my signature.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by astroboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks minimax I tried all what you said but the only way to get it to run is by choosing the SB16 in the dosbox cfg file and to choose sound blaster 16 in setsound of the game, it dosnt matter to the game what other sound card you have or what setting in the cfg file of dosbox just the sb16 even with the sb16 it is very slow and jerky and very unplayable. Yes I boosted the cycles up and down and all over like a pro but still unplayable. im thinking that the makers of this game did a bad job as I used 2 pcs with dosbox but both get the same result, 1 pc with xp at 2 GHz cpu and 1 gig ram the other pc 98se at 1GHz cpu and 384 ram, I even used an old ISA soundcard a soundblaster 16 PnP with dos drivers but I get to the first frame of the electronic arts movie and it freezes there too. If you think its the video card it cant be as I tried about 4 cards.

If I install in dos from my 4 other pcs all 4 at the end of the file copy process say a critical dos error has happened and to press esc to stop trying, any other key just makes it say it again, what is supos to happen is it is ment to finish the file copying and then goto the sound card setup.

Im thinking that I might have to get a copy of dos 5.0 or higher that has EMM386.exe and a VESA driver for dos what do you think?

Well im woundering if I'll ever get this game going maybe with an xp patch or something.

AB 😖

Reply 3 of 3, by stivntouzos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to run this game it is simple , you run it with DOSBOX but in the installation DO NOT CHOOSE ANY SOUNDBLASTER or adlib , the game crashes and have problems with it, choose Gravis Ultrasound instead and the game plays fine.