User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all:
Windows XP
2.53GHz Celeron D
512MB RAM
Intel 82865G integrated graphics

I'm trying to use DOG to play Magic Carpet 1, but after I select the language and the sound (I'm using none ATM) the screen goes black and the DosBox status rapidly counts up with this message:

Illegal read from f1002d7f, CS:IP      838:  16696a
Illegal read from f1002d80, CS:IP 838: 16694e
Illegal read from f1002d80, CS:IP 838: 16696a
Illegal read from f1002d81, CS:IP 838: 16694e
[etc.]

This part in the game is where the videos should be played, the first one being the Bullfrog logo. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with my mount, in DOG I selected auto, it mounted a drive at D:\ and the game is in D:\DOS\magic\
I'm using latest versions of DOG and DosBox, but not CVS.

Reply 2 of 6, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this happens after the config, and before the videos play, then i'd say that MC is unable to write its configuration file. Do you have a drive c:\ mounted? I'm not quite sure what you mean with "drive d:\". Is this your CD-ROM drive? Anyway, you _will_ need a mounted c:\-drive. The original MS-DOS could only be booted from c:\, so applictions (and games) will assume there's a c:\-drive available.

You should mount that c:\-drive, and re-install MC. The game itself runs very well in the most recent AEP CVS build (see other threads for details).

Reply 3 of 6, by Dood77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like I said, I did no sound.

It mounted D:\ because the game is on D. I have two HDDs.
Does CVS require compiling? I *sort-of* know what CVS means...

Reply 4 of 6, by Dood77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I fixed it, magic carpet by default writes the config to C:\CARPET
So I mounted C and the movies played.
And I looked up what those AEP CVS builds were, thanks.

EDIT: I can't get it to work very well, the sound always has regular skips and the keyboard is very laggy. I've tried many different settings of cycles, from 60000 to 120000, as well as dynamic and normal core etc. I've tried using CVS and 0.70 both. Does this mean it's my computer? 🙁

Reply 5 of 6, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Search this forum for other posts on MC, you'll find detailed instructions for DOSBox configuration, and "performance profiling" (identifying the max number of cycles your machine can handle). I got it to run perfectly, and played through the game without troubles. I have an old P4/2Ghz, and used 50000 cycles - i'd say your cycles count is too high. Your machine and graphics card is quite slow, so you should go even lower than that. Oh, and forget about the SVGA mode with your machine, it won't work fast enough.

Reply 6 of 6, by KadeshSa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would recommend trying the dos32a extension and using that. Using it will be much easier if you're playing the game from a hard disc drive.

I used it to run Magic Carpet on my old AMD 1600 mhz computer. It ran well with no crashes in lo-rez mode.

This is where you can download the extension (I recommend the first option).
http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html
Once you have it, extract the files and find the dos32a.exe file from the package. To make Magic Carpet automatically start up using it, rename the dos32a.exe file to "dos4gw.exe" and put it in your Magic Carpet cd folder overwriting the original "dos4gw.exe". This is why it is easier if you aren't actually using your disc. To keep the original dos4gw.exe file in the cd folder if you want to be able to revert back, just rename it to prevent it from getting overwritten.

Doing this on my AMD 1600 allowed me to play the original Magic Carpet with pretty good stability and speed as long as I stayed in lo-rez mode.