VOGONS

First post, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone!

New user in the forum but long time lurker...!

A special THANK YOU to all those involved in creating/developing/improving DOSBOX! 😎

I've asked Gulikoza (THANK YOU FOR HELPING) about it and he told me it might be possible by having a config option...

In the game Magic Carpet (all of them, preferably) is there any way to invert the Y mouse axis? I only ask this because I'm too used to flying helicopter style... When you pull the mouse back you fly upwards, when you push it forward, you go downward...

Thanks in advance to anyone else who might be able to help!

DOSBOX RULES!!! 😎

Njaydg

Last edited by njaydg on 2007-06-10, 20:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nevermind, everyone... 😀

The problem is solved...!

After reading in the game manual that the mouse axis should behave the "helicopter" way, I thought it was very strange...

So I tested with the official DOSBOX 0.70 and, voilá!!! It worked fine!

Then I tested again Gulikoza's latest build and it was also fine... Funny is, I never change a SINGLE setting during the whole "problem" duration!

Oh, and the game doesn't have a "mouse axis invert" option, as far as I could see...

It must have been one of those mistery "one in a million times" bug... 😁

Thanks for the help, anyway!

Dosbox keeps ROCKING classic DOS games!!!

😎

Reply 2 of 7, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

??? Maybe you were using the mouse upside down (with the cable facing up)? (;

I actually knew a guy that was using his mouse that way, on an Amiga. I always wondered how he managed to press the mouse buttons.

Reply 4 of 7, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ ADDICT : Funny joke, but no even close there... Hey, that's the first thing I checked! 🤣 I would have to be VERY drunk to handle the mouse upside down, and still I'd complain why the hell the mouse buttons were no longer at my fingertips!!! 😉
(mind you, i NEVER drink) 😉

@ WD : I totally agree with you! Maybe in some future Dosbox release we'll have an option (dosbox.conf ?) to change/override the mouse setup in some games... 😎

Thanks for answering anyway! I know you guys must get some crazy user problems all the time, so I won't take it personally 😀

Note to myself : must find the time to add my "nearly 100 favorite DOS games successfully played in Dosbox list" to the DOSBOX 0.70 compatibility list...

I'll think of it as a way of saying THANK YOU SO MUCH for doing an outstanding job with keeping DOS alive!

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Note to myself : must find the time to add my "nearly 100 favorite DOS games successfully played in Dosbox list" to the DOSBOX 0.70 compatibility list...

I *think* this would be much appreciated 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 7, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just stumbled on this thread while trying out magic carpet 1 and 2 (on real hardware). The games look really fun but the controls are horrendous. If anyone knows how to hack the game to invert the Y axis so that the game will control like Descent or a first person shooter with mouselook, I'll owe them a beer. The inverted controls are impossible for me (and others) to get used to after 30+ years of playing games. I spent the better part of an hour trying to adapt to it. The inverted Y axis combined with the exaggerated mouse acceleration and sliding make the game very hard to control.