VOGONS

Desqview

Topic actions

First post, by dazza1554

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Am using dosbox v0.7 for my mac osx 10.4. Would very much like to get desqview to work. When i load it up it crashes down the dos window.
have an old database program written in open access II that only works in a dos environment. Have managed to get norton commander and open access II to run by themselves. But adding them in desqview it wont load up. I know it needs a lot of conventional memory. It once loaded desqview v2.4 but failed to then open my database and stated divide overflow error. Which means it is trying to access memory not allowed. Is there a way to increase conventional memory allocation in dosbox?
Thanks for any help
Dazza 😊

Reply 1 of 11, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only option is memsize=63 in the config file ("DOSBox Preferences" by default. While 63 is the highest possible value.

Klimawandel.

Reply 3 of 11, by Tabris:DarkPeace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try using LOADFIX [FILENAME.EXE].

DOSBox has almost all 640 KB Convential Memory available, and some applications only expect 576 KB to be available.

Failing that try installing real MS/PC DOS into DOSBox, and perhaps use QEMM if you're using Desqview.

http://users.on.net/~darkpeace

Reply 5 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

ouch then noting is left 😉
the parameter is the amount to decrease it.

Desqview was kind of windows 3.x env I recall. I did some debugging on it once and it's currently not very compatible with dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The problem with stuff like that is that they usually do a lot of dos table
copying, and dosbox has some stub tables or keeps data in private memory.

So the best thing to do is booting some real dos inside dosbox, but that
might not really be what you want to do...

Reply 8 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why would anyone want to run Desqview in DOSBox? dazza1554: what is the reason you want to to run Desqview, inside DOSBox, or even at all? AFAIK, there are no applications written specifically for Desqview.

I've had my share of experiences back in the day with Desqview, and from what i can remember, it never worked like it was supposed to. I tried to run a multinode BBS (PCBoard) with Desqview, but there were always problems with the memory, lockups, etc. I remember that the company that made Desqview (i think the same guys that made Qemm) stopped development of the application, leaving users "in the cold" with a not-really-working application.

Reply 10 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, i'm getting old - i don't know when i really stopped using the product, out of sheer frustration. (; The Wikipedia article doesn't say until when Desqview was updated, but i remember being quite frustrated that the many quirks and errors of the software wouldn't be fixed.

Banking software?! Are you sure about that? AFAIK, financial institutes have always preferred client/server applications (where the server would run on machines like the AS/400), or OS/2, because of its real-time performance. I can't believe anyone would run a mission critical application with Desqview. (; Maybe you mean DESQview/X, which is quite different from Desqview.

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2007-06-15, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep I'm sure, I worked for a company in 97 that sold it as part of their package to banking institutions. Yes, it was used for client server stuff - think opening 4 terminals on one machine - kind of a thin client application.