VOGONS

First post, by Vision2098

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do you get it to work? I set it to 'auto' and certainly have more than a 4-button gamepad in Windows, but inside DOSBox it only uses two buttons (and wraps them around).

The other options under the [joystick] header in the conf refer only to axes, and thrustmaster/flightstick which have nothing to do with gamepads.

What am I missing? TIA =)

Reply 6 of 10, by Vision2098

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ummm... it's an XBox 360 gamepad using the "XBCD" drivers...

Right now I have it set up with X/Y as the left analog stick, Rx/Ry as the right analog stick, the D-Pad as the POV Hat Switch, and everything else (including the analog triggers) set to be standard buttons.

It's what seems to be a fairly standard analog gamepad setup in Windows... but with DOSBox using the 'auto' for joystick, it gets set to 2 axes/2 buttons, despite there being technically 4 axes and multiple buttons. (How DOSBox would/should pick between the two I'm not sure, but it doesn't do anything at all.)

Might this be a possible bug?

Reply 7 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This is no bug. No idea why those crazy drivers report one joystick
as two joysticks, that's not really our fault.

despite there being technically 4 axes

2axis means 2x2axes = 4 axes. So nothing wrong.

I don't know what exactly the driver does, even if reporting as two
separate joysticks it should work with the joysticktype=auto as then
the 2axis allows for two attached joysticks.

Reply 8 of 10, by Vision2098

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mmmm, nono... it X/Y and Rx/Ry are the left and right analog sticks. The drivers report the gamepad as a whole as a single device as far as I know, but technically there are 4 axes that way. X/Y and Rx/Ry are how dual-analog gamepads and Windows handle most any dual-analog setup.

I'm not sure if DOSBox uses them as two separate joysticks, as I don't think I have any 2 joystick supporting games laying around... but still, it's certainly one gamepad with more than 2 buttons, and DOSBox is failing to see it as such.

And why would forcing 4axis fix the 4-button problem? I mean, I set 4axis and all my 4-button games worked entirely as expected. Shouldn't auto have figured that out?

Perhaps it's that I don't know what auto goes looking for...

Reply 10 of 10, by Vision2098

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OOooh! Now I see what was going on.

I had a 2nd joystick installed; despite being not-currently-connected, it kept itself around in winmm basically. I had to go remove it from device manager.

All is well now when using auto.

Confused me for a while; thanks wd!