VOGONS

lemmings - 1991 version

Topic actions

First post, by froggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Lemmings (1991 version) to run. I've looked through all of the forums and have tried the mount c and mount a options, but still can't get it to work. I get the disk in drive A error message.
I have a 2.4 ghz CPU and 480mb RAM, running XP home edition service pack 2.
Can someone help me out?

Reply 6 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try mounting an image of the floppy. If that doesn't work you'll have to crack the protection with Neverlock or the like.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If cracking is not your thing then image your original floppy with WinImage, Diskcopy or so and mount it.

OH Make sure you run it in VGA on PC compatibles (NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE PCS, all that adds is more colors to the bottom bar and double buffering.)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 27, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah Lemmings copy protection was a tough one - no need to risk damaging your disk (especially with modern floppy drives, they ruin old disks quickly) so I would just look online. No problem since you own the original.

Reply 11 of 27, by froggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for that.
Just so I don't stuff anything up, do I use diskcopy through Dosbox to make a copy of my original disk, then try running it again using
mount a c:\lemmings -t floppy
then a:
then vgalemmi

if that's wrong, what is the correct commands?
Also can i put these commands, once it works, into the dosbox.conf file for easier start up.

Reply 14 of 27, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
froggy wrote:
Thanks for that. Just so I don't stuff anything up, do I use diskcopy through Dosbox to make a copy of my original disk, then t […]
Show full quote

Thanks for that.
Just so I don't stuff anything up, do I use diskcopy through Dosbox to make a copy of my original disk, then try running it again using
mount a c:\lemmings -t floppy
then a:
then vgalemmi

if that's wrong, what is the correct commands?
Also can i put these commands, once it works, into the dosbox.conf file for easier start up.

correct, and at the end of the CONF file theres a AUTOEXEC section, just copy and paste the commands into there if you want the game to start automatically when DOSBox starts.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 16 of 27, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really. I first thought it was caused by bad cheap disks but I have floppies that work perfectly on my old 486 Aptiva - I used them loads and when I use them twice on any new drive, they're broken.

Reply 18 of 27, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering I've had the same experience on at least 10-15 PCs, and considering the same thing happened at work with collegues (we have old PCs that still run DOS programs - disks that were used for over 15 years broke after 5 minutes of use in a modern PC) and the obvious factor that disk drivers are cheap as f**k now ...

It's like with the modern pick up players - they suck.
Tape players: they suck. Modern tape players stretch the tape. And why? Because disk drivers are used so little that they don't want any extra costs so they add the cheapest possible parts. It's how it works. If you can find a $25-30 disk drive, I'm sure they'll be decent - but the ones in modern PCs are nearly always the $5-10 variaty that is utter crap.

Reply 19 of 27, by froggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to everyone who responded.
I'll be careful with any older floppy disks.
I've solved my problem:
I had a "hacked" version of lemmings on my old 486.
I copied that & installed it.
I'm running it successfully on dosbox .63 using the following:
mount d d:\lemmings
d:
vgalemmi

Runs a treat, uses the mouse & has sound.

Just one other question: Can I get the screen any bigger?