VOGONS

The 7th Guest

Topic actions

First post, by Punk13405

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the CD of The 7th Guest, but I can't install the thing from DOSbox, can I have some help?

"People who don't care what other people think are usually desperate for other people to think they don't care what other people think"

-George Carlin

Reply 3 of 26, by Punk13405

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I put the CD in, but I'm not sure how to install it off of DOSbox. The manual is all good, but I can't find a good step-by-step on how to install the game from the CD using DOSbox.

"People who don't care what other people think are usually desperate for other people to think they don't care what other people think"

-George Carlin

Reply 4 of 26, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you've followed the readme and the guides provided in this forum, installation should work exactly like it did fifteen years ago on your old MS-DOS pc.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 5 of 26, by darklord_1998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard: Intel(R) 8280
Processor type and speed P4 3.0 Gig
Amount and type of RAM 512 MB
Video board w/ RAM amount and type Intel(R) 8280
Sound board Intel(R) 8280
Operating system Windows Vista Home Basic
Game name The 7th Guest (Old 2 Disk Version, Install with 2nd Disk)
Description of problem: DosBox will mount my CD Drive or CD Image and run install.exe. However, once the program runs, it will ask for the install disk.
Reproducibility of problem: always
Sound mode used: Soundblaster
Video mode OpenGL 800x600 16bit 75hz refresh
Version of emulator DOSBox 0.72
Steps already attempted to solve the problem read the README, made and mounted bin/cue images of disk, tried direct from disk

Reply 9 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

(sometimes, getting detailed info from posters is like pulling their teeth)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 26, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darklord_1998 wrote:

set it up for mscdex, ioctl and aspi

I don't get one thing... You said earlier than you couldn't install the game. Why? Do you get any error or you can't find the specific install file? After mounting the CD as you said, if you try a DIR command, don't you have any setup.* or install.* file?

What about posting a screenshot of every step you take (or writing word by word every command you type) from mounting to the actual install...?

Could be useful, you know?

[OT mode]
With no offense to any user in particular, but sometimes I think that in order to register in VOGONS you should have to fill out a questionnaire regarding DOS/DOSBox general knowlege. There would obviously be a little note saying " In order to know the answer to these questions, you'll have to look inside the README or FAQ file ". 😁
[/OT mode]

Reply 13 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. Should be like the Leisure Suit Larry screens. That'll keep 'em out for good.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
njaydg wrote:

I don't get one thing... You said earlier than you couldn't install the game.

No, he did not. That was the original poster who had that problem. darklord is trying to solve this problem:

Description of problem: DosBox will mount my CD Drive or CD Image and run install.exe. However, once the program runs, it will ask for the install disk.

[OT mode]Maybe also a reading quizz before people are allowed to reply in threads?[/OT mode]

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 26, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I admit I made a mistake in my statement... Everyone, please accept my apologies (and I was just kidding about the questionnaire). That's what happens when you're working and replying to VOGONS threads at the same time...

Still have a doubt:

Punk13405 said he had the CD version and couldn't install it from DOSBox.

Punk13405 wrote:

The manual is all good, but I can't find a good step-by-step on how to install the game from the CD using DOSbox.

On the other hand...

darklord_1998 wrote:
(...) Game name The 7th Guest (Old 2 Disk Version, Install with 2nd Disk) Description of problem: DosBox will mount my CD Drive […]
Show full quote

(...)
Game name The 7th Guest (Old 2 Disk Version, Install with 2nd Disk)
(...)
Steps already attempted to solve the problem read the README, made and mounted bin/cue images of disk, tried direct from disk
(...)
set it up for mscdex, ioctl and aspi

Since darklord_1998 refered " Old 2 Disk Version, Install with 2nd Disk ", and I keep seeing people keep referring to CD, are we talking about the floppy disk version or the CD-ROM disc version?

Reply 18 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's hard for me to imagine a floppy disk version of The 7th Guest. A big part of its appeal was the multimedia features that CD-ROM drives were just starting to make possible (at the time).

I'll list out the commands I use to install and running the game for those that are struggling. The path and filenames are what I used, substitute your preference. Note that I put the 2nd disc first in the mount command because the installer is on disc 2 (on my discs). For install options I choose the default c:\id\t7g install path, SVGA video, SBPRO2 audio.

MOUNT C C:\DOSGAMES
IMGMOUNT D C:\DOSISO\T7GD2.CUE C:\DOSISO\T7GD1.CUE -t iso
D:
INSTALL
C:
CD \ID\T7G
T7G

Hit Ctrl-F4 to switch discs as requested by the game. A bit of a procedure, but I've encountered worse. If the game is still asking you to insert a disc when it's already selected, maybe your image is flawed in some way.

Reply 19 of 26, by darklord_1998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok here is what i do:

imgmount E "C:\files\T7G_DI~4.cue" -t iso -fs iso (Disk 1 image, made directly from the original CD)
imgmount F "C:\files\T7G_DI~2.cue" -t iso -fs iso (Disk 2)
e:
Install

1st screen comes up and I press spacebar to go to choose drive to install on. When the screen comes up, it says that it cant detect the disk and if i want to, put in disk 1 and press Y. I tried CTL-F4 and pressed Y and the message did not clear. I did press another key to exit to make sure it was not frozen.