VOGONS

First post, by cbreaker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a real MT-32 and it's working fine with DOSBOX.

I recently dug up my old copy of Ultima Underworld 2, and I tried to set the music for MT-32 but it just assumes SoundBlaster. Even if I turn off SoundBlaster in DOSBOX, there's just no option to pick MT-32.

I know the game supports MT-32 - how do I force UW2 to use it?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

huh? Did you use uinstall.exe to select the MT-32? With this program you can select MT-32 for music and SoundBlaster for digital sound (which is just the speech and some sound effects I *think*).
After that start uwsound.exe. It should say that it detects the MT32 for sound and the sound blaster for digitized speech.
If all this fails, make sure that you have mpu401 enabled (mpu401=intelligent or uart) in the [midi] section of dosbox.conf.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 6, by cbreaker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

huh? Did you use uinstall.exe to select the MT-32? "

My copy was on an old hard drive. I didn't see any uinstall.exe so no, I didn't run it. I'll have to find my original disks.

uwsound.exe for me was just looking for soundblasters, so it was probably set up for my old SB Pro.

If all this fails, make sure that you have mpu401 enabled

Thanks, but I did kinda point out that my sound was otherwise working... just not with this game.

I guess next time I'll lie and say I am running this on a 486 running DOS. Thanks anyways guys..

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You must run INSTALL.EXE to reconfigure sound hardware. UWSOUND is for fine-tuning sound cards (Ports, IRQs, DMA Channels and such).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 6, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your files comes from the CD version of UW2 the file which set sound devices will be called UINSTALL.EXE, if your files come from the floppy version, the same file will be called INSTALL.EXE, like eL_PuSHeR said(this is from memory though, so I could be wrong), if you have neither of these files you'll need to find your copy or download another one in order to set the sound card.

cbreaker wrote:

I guess next time I'll lie and say I am running this on a /486 running DOS. Thanks anyways guys..

That attitude will lead you nowhere.

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I guess next time I'll lie and say I am running this on a 486 running DOS. Thanks anyways guys..

Why are you saying this, we do try to help you. Didn't know that the CD and Floppy version had different installers. If you have neither install.exe nor uinstall.exe you should look for your original CD/floppies and reinstall from that.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper