VOGONS

Phantasmagoria on dosbox

Topic actions

First post, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

I recently was able to install and start Phantasmagoria using DosBox, but I am having trouble having the disks (which I have converted to image files) recognized by the dosbox.conf file. My dosbox.conf file looks like this so far:

mount C C:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos
imgmount d c:\Phantasmagoria_1.iso c:\Phantasmagoria_2.iso c:\Phantasmagoria_3.iso c:\Phantasmagoria_4.iso c:\Phantasmagoria_5.iso c:\Phantasmagoria_6.iso c:\Phantasmagoria_7.iso -t iso

In addition to that, what is the executable file that I should include in this dosbox.conf file to run the application? Thanks.

glyco0

Reply 5 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
glyco0 wrote:

The program presents a message box which tells me to enter the disk (in this case disk 5) and hit enter. When I do this, nothing happens.

When wd asks "what did you try to switch disks?", the answer he wants to hear is: I read the README-file that comes with DOSBox and there I found out about CTRL-F4.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i tried CTRL-F4 repeatedly, but with no luck. Here is the bottom of my dosbox.conf file:

xms=true
ems=false
umb=true
# automount=true
keyboardlayout=none

[ipx]
# ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=false

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# Note: all files are in the same folder as exe file.
# Also, all files are image files are in quotes.
#mount C C:\blackdahlia
mount C C:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos -freesize 20
imgmount e "c:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos\Phantasmagoria_1.iso" -t iso
imgmount f "c:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos\Phantasmagoria_2.iso" -t iso
imgmount g "c:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos\Phantasmagoria_3.iso" -t iso
imgmount h "c:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos\Phantasmagoria_4.iso" -t iso
imgmount i "c:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos\Phantasmagoria_5.iso" -t iso
imgmount j "c:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos\Phantasmagoria_6.iso" -t iso
imgmount k "c:\Phantasmagoria\SIERRA\scarydos\Phantasmagoria_7.iso" -t iso

c:
phcd

This is using v 0.71CVS. As you can see, I have mounted my disks, but none are loaded. If I manually load the disk, it does not work either.

glyco0

Reply 7 of 23, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nah Phantasmagoria won't recognize the disks if you mount them in different drives. It's rather simply though to make it switch the disks in one drive:

First you install Daemon Tools or some other Virtual CD Drive in Windows ánd mount the first disk. Then you mount that drive as CD-Drive in Dosbox. If Phanta asks you to switch Disks, you exit Fullscreen and just switch to CD 2 in Daemon Tools. Phantasmagoria should recognize the new cd then (at least, I'm quite sure that's how I got it to work when I played the game.

Reply 9 of 23, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used a CVS between 0.65 and 0.70 I think and it would work just fine, aslong as you mount the virtual cd drive as a cd drive in dosbox so it would recognize the disk change.

Playing directly from the cd is a bad idea imo, I've experienced massive loss of performance on any game I tried to play that way.

Reply 10 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You should do this:

imgmount E "C:\ISOs\Ph_1.iso" "C:\ISOs\Ph_2.iso" "C:\ISOs\Ph_3.iso" "C:\ISOs\Ph_4.iso" "C:\ISOs\Ph_5.iso" "C:\ISOs\Ph_6.iso" "C:\ISOs\Ph_7.iso" -t iso

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I rewrote the dosbox.conf file to load the disks all on one drive, like you suggested, and it worked. Trouble is, the program does not recognize the drive. I used CTRL-F4 to try and switch drives and no luck. Only by inserting the disk into the CDrom will it work. In fact, I had to copy the files from disk one to the game folder so that the game would even start.

glyco0

Reply 13 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand why you want to run it in DOSBOX. It will run perfectly fine as a Windows application. It might look better, too. Phantas 2 looks better in Windows than DOS. These are games that shipped with both DOS and Windows executables.

Mount the images with Daemon Tools and see if it works. I've beaten the game several times in XP.

Reply 16 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

It will run perfectly fine as a Windows application

Nice suggestion for all the people that don't/don't want to use windows, right?

He never said anything about Mac or Linux. There's even talk of Daemon Tools, a Windows app. Considering that, and that the game may look worse in DOSBOX because at least the DOS version of Phantas2 meant lower color depth, it made a lot of sense to me, yeah.

Windows is by far the easiest way to play Phantasmagoria 1. If he's running an x64 Windows, he may need DOSBOX though. I would imagine it has 16-bit components.

Reply 18 of 23, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually Sierra games of that age in Windows XP aren't too stable and there's some issues. For one, you have resolutions issues meaning that I need to lower my resolution which I hate doing because then Windows re-arranges all my neatly arranged icons on my desktop and there's also reports of colour palet issues. I haven't tried it in VIsta yet though but I generally prefer Dosbox because it's self-contained. Meaning that if the game decides to crash it only takes Dosbox along with it, and doesn't bring down your entire OS.

Reply 19 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there is a choice, you are almost always better off with the DOS version of Sierra SCI games. Most of the bugs with the DOS version tend to be just speed issues, which are easily addressed with DOSBox. The Windows games tend to be rather buggy. With most there is little difference aesthetically between the two. Also, don't forget, 64 bit Windows will become more and more common.