VOGONS

First post, by vogon player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't imagine that there are many people using Breadbox Ensemble under DOSBox, so if no one knows of a solution to this problem it will be perfectly understandable.

I have installed Breadbox Ensemble 4.010 and it runs fine under DOSBox 0.72, but I have noticed that if I try to launch any DOS programs or batch files from within Ensemble, I always receive the following error message:

An error occurred during this operation
Please try again

Error Code: FM-27

I'm just wondering if any other Breadbox Ensemble users may have encountered this problem before. If so, have you been able to find a solution? Otherwise, the native Ensemble applications appear to be functioning OK.

Searches for this error message have not provided any additional tips beyond trying to launch the program again.

It may even be that DOS applications won't launch properly from within Ensemble when it is running inside DOSBox... but I can't say for sure whether this is the case or not. I really wouldn't be surprised to hear that this is the case however...

Last edited by vogon player on 2007-09-09, 22:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by vogon player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm... interesting. I went hunting for my earlier version of New Deal Office 3.2a so that I could install this and see if the same error would occur.

I installed NDO3, and while it did not produce the FM-27 error, it did attempt to run the DOS applications before crashing DOSBox with an illegal write error.

After I installed the 3.2a upgrade patch, DOS batch files and applications are working fine when running inside of DOSBox.

I have also noticed that the Breadbox Ensemble 4.010 version (with patch 1 installed) also produces the same FM-27 error when I attempt to launch a batch file or DOS program without using DOSBox at all.

I'm going to boot over to Win98SE now and test this under that host OS (I'm currently running under Win2K. As the issue may appear to be with the particular version of Geos, I may also contact Breadbox to see if they have any additional patches available that might be able to resolve this.

Reply 2 of 2, by vogon player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok... well those were some pretty weird results.

Under Windows 98 SE, Both NDO 3.2a and Breadbox Ensemble had lots of trouble loading DOS applications, whether inside of DOSBox or not. It did attempt to run the programs and had occasionally been successful, but more often than not games that rely of DOS4GW would crash with a divide by zero error or DOSBox would crash with illegal write errors.

I booted back to Windows 2000 and both Geos versions continued to have trouble launching DOS programs outside of DOSBox.

When I loaded up DOSBox, games are now launching fine from within both Geos versions. Weird... there are no applications running right now that weren't when I first tried this last night. I did have one DOS game that has crashed when I tried to launch it from within NDO 3.2a; I tried again only this time I ran loadfix before starting up NDO and the DOS game launched fine this time.

I'm not sure why Breadbox Ensemble had been unable to launch any DOS programs last night, but the issue appears to have been resolved on its own.

I guess the moral of this story is that 'Yes', DOS games/apps can be launched from within Breadbox Ensemble running under DOSBox, but one might experience the occasional problem in which restarting the machine or running loadfix may or may not resolve. 😖